- Who We Are
- Where We Stand
- Our Rights
- Our Benefits
- Our Chapters
- ADAPT Community Network
- Administrative Education Officers and Analysts
- Adult Education
- Block Institute
- Education Officers & Education Analysts
- Family Child Care Providers
- Federation of Nurses
- Hearing Education Services
- Hearing Officers (per Session)
- Occupational / Physical Therapists
- Retired Teachers
- School Counselors
- School Nurses
- School Secretaries
- Social Workers & Psychologists
- Speech Improvement
- Supervisors of Nurses & Therapists
- Teachers Assigned
- Charter School Chapters
- Other DOE Chapters
- Other Non-DOE Chapters
- Get Involved
- Career Timeline
- CTLE / LearnUFT
- Classroom Resources
- Courses / Workshops
- English Language Learners
- Job Opportunities
- Positive Learning Collaborative
- Professional Development Resources
- Students with Disabilities
- Teacher Center
- Teacher Leadership
- Teacher's Choice
- Team High School
Consultation Meeting Minutes: Oct. 1, 2014
Consultation meeting of the UFT and NYC Department of Education
published October 1, 2014
Date of meeting: October 1, 2014
Held at: 28-11 Queens Plaza North
- UFT: Leslie McDonnell, OT/PT chapter leader, and Laura Tamburo, special representative and therapist liaison
- DOE: OT Director Suzanne Sanchez, OT Director Darnell Young and PT Director Carlo Vialu
The following was discussed:
- Orientation packets were discussed to be made more uniform next year.
- A note was made that information regarding salaries is listed on the UFT website.
- Powerpoints will be shared with the UFT working in collaboration moving forward.
- A general OT or PT meeting was discussed to be held in one location.
- New hires will have a separate orientation meeting moving forward.
- Large scale PD workshops will be developed with the UFT going forward.
- A note was made regarding the two PT workshops, which had already been planned for October and fliers were shared.
- Dates were suggested for large-scale meetings during the school year ( ie. Election Day, Chancellor's Day).
- The supervisor’s meeting will continue independently with feedback shared with the UFT.
- A survey format for needs assessment was discussed for members to be able to give input on PD.
- It was discussed whether evaluations should be online to get feedback from the therapists after PD workshops.
- Part-time hours are to start with the school day and follow 6.55 hours per day.
- The Department of Education will offer, for one year only, different combinations of part-time hours.
- Part-timers are paid for the vacation weeks.
- It was discussed whether part-timers are paid if their work day falls on a holiday.
- All job responsibilities for therapists are listed on the DOE website under job descriptions.
- A note was made that if therapists are being asked to perform non job-related tasks, they are to notify their supervisors by email to assist them but if the matter persists they should then contact the UFT.
- PTs do not perform initial evaluations except in District 75 – these are handled by the evaluation team.
- OTs do perform initial evaluations and can request assistance from the evaluation team.
- A note was made that if therapists are in a school two days or less they are not responsible for evaluations.
What is your favorite movie about a teacher?
Dead Poets Society
Stand and Deliver
Mr. Holland's Opus
Total votes: 588