Administrative Ed Analysts and Officers

Welcome to the UFT!

On July 11, 2016, the UFT and the New York City Department of Education executed an agreement enabling the UFT to become the bargaining representative for more than 450 Administrative Education Analysts and Administrative Education Officers.

Who belongs to the new bargaining unit?

The criteria for those Administrative Education Analysts and Administrative Education Officers designated for inclusion in the bargaining unit are as follows:

  • Must be pay grade G-1 to G-4.
  • Must not be employed in any of the following locations: Offices of the Chancellor, Deputy Chancellors, Office of General Counsel (Office of Legal Services, Office of Labor Relations, Office of Special Investigation, Office of Equal Opportunity, Office of Auditor General), Division of Human Resources or Division of Budget, Operations and Review.

Administrative Education Analysts and Officers in pay grades G-5 to G-8 are excluded from the bargaining unit. Some other exclusions may apply.

The UFT is aware that you may have questions as to how your new recognition as union-represented employees will affect various aspects of your employment (i.e., work calendar, work hours, salary increases, medical and pension benefits, civil service status and promotional opportunities, to name a few). As of now there have been no changes, and there is no exact timeline as to when specific changes will take place. We can assure you that, as your bargaining representative, we are actively working on these details. One of the first changes is likely to be a switchover from your current Management Benefit Fund to the UFT Welfare Fund. Stay tuned.

To address your individual concerns, we encourage you to send us your questions »


Administrative Education Officers and Administrative Education Analysts are eligible for membership in the Teachers’ Retirement System of the City of New York. Employees who are already members of another NYC retirement system may transfer membership to TRS. Before doing so, they should compare the benefits under both systems, including the differences in retirement plans.

Steps to transfer membership to TRS »

  • Board of Education Retirement System– To contact a BERS representative, call 1-212-935-5400 for individual service history and date of membership in BERS and to set up an individual consultation.
  • UFT Pension Department – The UFT pension department is available to answer your questions. If you have any concerns, call 1-212-598-6866 and speak to one of the following UFT pension special representatives: Victoria Lee, Frank Panebianco or Steve Gappelberg.
  • Teachers Retirement System – Call 1-888-869-2877 and identify yourself by title.

Enroll in the UFT Welfare Fund online to access your health benefits »

Sept. 27, 2016: The Department of Citywide Administrative Services is now notifying those who took and passed the Administrative Staff Analyst exam administered in the spring that the process for appointing/promoting individuals to positions is about to begin.

We have received many inquires about how this process will affect your UFT representation and we would like to address your concerns.

The Administrative Staff Analyst title is not a UFT-represented title. As a result of discussions between the UFT and the Department of Education, we have been informed that Administrative Education Analysts and Administrative Education Officers who choose to accept an Administrative Staff Analyst position will become permanent in that title.

You will then have the option to be placed on leave from the Administrative Staff Analyst position, retaining permanent status but continuing to work under your current title of Administrative Education Analyst or Administrative Education Officer. You can thus be permanent and, at the same time, continue to be represented by the UFT.

The DOE has indicated that it will discuss this option with each of you as part of the interview process. If you have any specific questions before or as you begin this process, feel free to contact us directly using the inquiry form.

So that the UFT can best support you and provide information about your rights and benefits, please fill out this form.

Fill out my online form.
User login
Enter the email address you used to sign up at
If you don't have a profile, please sign up.
Forgot your password?