- Who We Are
- Where We Stand
- Our Rights
- Our Benefits
- Our Chapters
- Education Officers & Education Analysts
- Guidance Counselors
- Hearing Education Services
- Lab Specialists
- Occupational / Physical Therapists
- Retired Teachers
- School Nurses
- School Secretaries
- Social Workers & Psychologists
- Speech Improvement
- Supervisors of Nurses & Therapists
- Teachers Assigned
- Vision Education Services
- Other DOE Chapters
- Charter School Chapters
- Non-DOE Education Chapters
- Federation of Nurses
- United Cerebral Palsy
- UFT Providers
- Get Involved
New York City Dance Educators/UFT
New York City Dance Educators (NYCDE) is dedicated to ensuring that dance is an integral part of every New York City public school child's education. To this end, we strive to:
- Provide a network and open forum for NYC public school dance educators, establishing open lines of communication with colleagues to exchange resources and obtain support;
- Advocate for a comprehensive standards-based K-12 dance curriculum with appropriate assessments;
- Promote dance as an essential kinesthetic teaching strategy and advocate for dance education and educators with the city's Department of Education;
- Increase opportunities to showcase student dance performances;
- Strengthen our relationships with the larger NYC dance community and cultural organizations on behalf of all public school dance educators;
- Provide quality professional development by and for all dance educators.
NYCDE engages in an ongoing recruitment process involving new teachers, regular teachers, support staff, retirees and other unionists who can offer their experience and expertise in the areas of dance and organization. Non-UFTers, including university employees and members of unions affiliated with New York City Central Labor Council, NYSUT, AFT, or AFL-CIO may serve as associate members.
In the News
Jun 13, 2013The cream of the crop of student dancers from 16 schools across the city gave colorful and jubilant performances before an audience of nearly 400 at...
Jun 14, 2012Reading, writing and all that jazz. Dance — be it jazz, tap, ballet, hip-hop, modern, folk or any number of styles — is a basic joyous right of...
Jun 23, 2011Despite fears of layoffs and shrinking arts programs due to city funding cuts, dance teachers cheered on their young artists at the 9th annual New...
Membership enrollment form
All UFT members are eligible to join. Non-UFT personnel, including university employees and union members affiliated with the New York City Central Labor Council, AFL-CIO, NYSUT, or AFT, may serve as associate members.
UFT’s 11th annual Celebration of Dance Festival Photo Gallery
The cream of the crop of student dancers from 16 schools across the city gave colorful and jubilant performances before an audience of nearly 400 at the UFT’s 11th annual Celebration of Dance Festival at Long Island City HS on May 18.More photos