- Who We Are
- Where We Stand
- Our Rights
- Our Benefits
- Our Chapters
- Administrative Education Officers and Analysts
- Education Officers & Education Analysts
- Guidance Counselors
- Hearing Education Services
- Hearing Officers (Per Session)
- Lab Specialists
- Occupational / Physical Therapists
- Retired Teachers
- School Nurses
- School Secretaries
- Social Workers & Psychologists
- Speech Improvement
- Supervisors of Nurses & Therapists
- Teachers Assigned
- Vision Education Services
- Other DOE Chapters
- Charter School Chapters
- Non-DOE Education Chapters
- Federation of Nurses
- Family Child Care Providers
- Get Involved
- Career Timeline
- Teacher Center
- Teacher Evaluation
- English Language Learners
- Classroom Resources
- Students with Disabilities
- Courses / Workshops
- Teacher's Choice
- Teacher Leadership
- Transfer Opportunities
- Job Opportunities
- District 75
- Positive Learning Collaborative
- Professional Development Resources
- Team High School
UFT.org Home > Get Involved > UFT Campaigns > Public School Proud > Highlights from the DeVos confirmation hearing
Betsy DeVos' confirmation hearing before the Senate on Jan. 17 demonstrated clearly why she is unfit to be the U.S. Education Secretary.
Watch the most revealing moments from the hearing below.
Guns in schools
Senator Chris Murphy (D-CT) asked DeVos whether guns belong in schools. DeVos declined to agree that guns have no place in schools, citing schools in Wyoming that could use guns to "protect from potential grizzlies."
Proficiency vs. growth
In the course of his questions, Senator Al Franken (D-MN) was perturbed to discover that DeVos is not familiar with the education debate around proficiency vs. growth measures.
Senator Bernie Sanders (D-VT) questioned DeVos about using her wealth to buy influence, asking point-blank, "Would you be here if you weren't a multi-billionaire?"
Student loan oversight
Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) questioned DeVos about her lack of experiencing managing student loan programs.
Senator Tim Kaine (D-VA) asked DeVos whether she supports equal accountability for all schools that receive taxpayer funding. DeVos' answer was no.
6 head-scratching moments from the hearing
The Washington Post summarizes six astonishing moments from the hearing.