Info you should know

Work expenses, UFT dues are tax-deductible

If you are an eligible educator, you can deduct up to $250 of any unreimbursed expenses in 2017 for books, supplies, computer equipment (including related software and services), other equipment and supplementary materials you use in the classroom, according to the IRS.

If you are married, filing jointly, and both spouses are educators, you can deduct up to $500, but not more than $250 each. For courses in health and physical education, expenses for supplies are qualified expenses only if they are related to athletics.

The educator expense is an “adjustment to gross income” so you can use it if you use the standard deduction or itemize on your tax return. In addition, if you itemize deductions, you can deduct any excess of unreimbursed educator expenses above the $250 limit as a miscellaneous deduction.

Your union dues are also eligible as a miscellaneous deduction. The total of your miscellaneous deductions, however, are reduced by 2 percent of your income.

You should keep documentation, such as receipts or canceled checks, for any deduction you take. For all income-tax questions, see IRS Publication 529 for miscellaneous deductions and IRS Publication 17.

User login
Enter the email address you used to sign up at
If you don't have a profile, please sign up.
Forgot your password?