- Who We Are
- Where We Stand
- Our Rights
- Our Benefits
- Our Chapters
- Education Officers & Education Analysts
- Guidance Counselors
- Hearing Education Services
- Lab Specialists
- Occupational / Physical Therapists
- Retired Teachers
- School Nurses
- School Secretaries
- Social Workers & Psychologists
- Speech Improvement
- Supervisors of Nurses & Therapists
- Teachers Assigned
- Other DOE Chapters
- Charter School Chapters
- Non-DOE Education Chapters
- UFT Providers
- Federation of Nurses
- United Cerebral Palsy
- Get Involved
UFT Welfare Fund
Beyond the medical and hospitalization benefits you receive through the city’s health plans, you also have an array of additional benefits through the UFT Welfare Fund, including dental, optical, hearing and prescription drugs.
▪ You must enroll in the Welfare Fund separately from enrolling in a health plan. There are no waiting periods for benefits once you enroll as an eligible member.
▪ The fastest and easiest way to enroll is online. This will expedite access to benefits for you and your dependents.
▪ Alternatively, your UFT chapter leader has Welfare Fund enrollment forms. Mail one directly to the Welfare Fund at the address on the form.
▪ If your address or marital status changes you can update it through the online “change of status” process, or ask your chapter leader for a blue “Change of Status” packet or phone the UFT Welfare Fund forms hotline at 1-212-539-0539.
▪ Within two weeks of enrolling, you should receive a UFT Welfare Fund drug card, which is your identification for purchasing prescription drugs. Call the Welfare Fund if your card is delayed. Your name will be the only one listed on the card, although the names of your eligible dependents will appear on the pharmacist’s screen.
▪ You’ll also receive a booklet called “The Red Apple,” which describes the full range of your benefits. It’s available online.
▪ You are covered as soon as you enroll and will be reimbursed if you need to fill a prescription before your card arrives.
▪ You can download Welfare Fund reimbursement, dental and most other forms. Or you can phone the Fund’s Forms Hotline at 1-212-535-0539. The website also has lists of participating panelists, updates on benefits, links to providers' websites and answers to frequently asked questions.
UFT Welfare Fund benefits plans cover you, your spouse or domestic partner, and your eligible dependents. These plans include:
- Prescription Drug Plan. This plan covers prescription drugs (but not those sold over the counter).
- Be sure to save receipts for prescription drugs you paid for before receiving your drug card so you can be reimbursed.
- When you need to fill a prescription, go to a participating pharmacy, show your UFT drug card, and pay a co-payment.
- If you need to use drugs over a long period of time (known as “maintenance drugs”) you can get a 90-day supply using the Mail Order Delivery option, which is convenient and less expensive when using generic or brand-name drugs. For this option, get mail order envelopes from your chapter leader or by calling the Welfare Fund Hotline at 1-212-539-0539.
- The UFT Welfare Fund Drug formulary is a great tool for understanding whether a prescription drug is covered and how to obtain it. The formulary is available on the UFT Welfare Fund website.
- Dental plan. Through the Welfare Fund you can choose between two plans:
- A dental HMO (Dentcare) with no co-payment or
- A Scheduled Benefit Plan that allows you, your spouse or domestic partner, and your eligible dependents to use participating dentists (at no charge or with a small co-payment) or nonparticipating dentists with reimbursement according to the fee schedule.
- Optical plan. It covers the cost of an eye exam and eyeglasses entirely or gives you an allowance that you can apply toward an upgrade.
- You may also elect to purchase contact lenses and receive a credit as per the fee schedule.
- Hearing aid. Members are entitled to one hearing aid every three years.
- Participating providers have agreed to offer a second aid, if necessary, at a reduced rate.
- The Fund will issue you a hearing aid voucher that explains the details of the plan.
Only YOU are entitled to these plans:
- Disability insurance. Qualifying pedagogues may be covered for $475 per week for a maximum of 52 weeks. Call the UFT Welfare Fund at 1-212-539-0500 if you need an application or more details.
- Death benefit. When you enroll in the UFT Welfare Fund, you should designate a beneficiary in case of death.
- The younger you are, the higher the death benefit will be, starting at $30,000 and declining through the years.
- This complements the death benefit that accrues through the pension system or any other life insurance you may have.