Self-treated days

If you are a teacher or other pedagogue and are absent from school because of illness, you will be paid for up to 10 days in any school year without needing to submit a doctor’s note. These are known as “self-treated days.” If you take more than 10 self-treated days in any school year, you will not be paid for those additional absences unless you submit a doctor’s note – even if you have accumulated days in your Cumulative Absence Reserve (CAR), commonly referred to as your sick bank. Whenever possible, you should submit medical certification for each day you are absent to preserve as many of your self-treated days as possible.

Here are some more important things to know about self-treated days:

  • You can use three of your 10 days for personal business, provided that you give reasonable notice to your principal. Personal business is officially defined as something that cannot be done at any time other than a school day, during school hours. All three personal business days may be used to care for family members who are ill.
  • Aside from the three personal business days, your 10 self-treated days may only be taken for illness or disability. If you have exhausted all the days in your CAR and you are regularly appointed, you may borrow up to 20 additional sick leave days. You must put your request to borrow additional days in writing to your principal to ensure their use. It is important that you call your school and notify the principal that you will be absent each day. After ten self-treated sick days, whether they are borrowed or not, you will need a doctor's note.
  • If your supervisor suspects that you are abusing the sick leave provisions in the contract, s/he may investigate to determine whether you were ill. For example, if the principal sees a pattern to your absences such as Fridays or Mondays or before a holiday, the principal can investigate your absences.

Other absences

You are entitled to take one school day each school year to take either an annual physical or take annual laboratory tests; however, the absence will be deducted from your CAR.

Absences due to Hepatitis B as a result of working with children who have been evaluated as a substantial risk of acting-out behavior, or absences due to an allergic reaction from a DOE-mandated skin test, will not be deducted from your sick bank (CAR) provided you submit appropriate medical documentation.

Other absences that are not deducted from your CAR include absences due to childhood illnesses that are listed in our contract (German measles, mumps and chicken pox), for the death of an immediate family member, or to appear in court as a juror or witness. These are considered "non-attendance" days. Your chapter leader can advise you about which forms to file for these absences.

You can request up to 4 hours of paid time off annually for the purpose of getting a breast cancer or prostate cancer screening, and up to 3 hours of unpaid time off annually to donate blood. The request should be made in advance and in writing to your principal, and if it is determined that there is not a major disruption to the school, the time will be granted.

Further Guidance on Absences

Know Your Rights on attendance

FAQs on Attendance

Know Your Rights definitions for:

Absence Forms

CAR Transfer Form & Rules

All pedagogues may use this form to donate sick time to a colleague. The recipient receives one day for every two days donated. Pedagogues may only donate sick days to a colleague suffering from a catastrophic illness. Sick leave transfer rules are on page 2 of the form.

OP 44: Application for Termination Pay for Pedagogues

Upon resignation, termination or retirement, pedagogues and paraprofessionals may be granted half of their sick leave balance (up to 100 days) at the rate of 1/200th of their annual salary. Pedagogues must fill out this form online, download it, print it and get it signed by the principal and then mail or hand-deliver (strongly suggested) it to the DOE. The DOE does not accept faxes. Paraprofessionals do not need to fill out this form. However, in order to collect termination pay, they must be members of the Teachers' Retirement System.

OP 175W: Request for Waiver of Restriction on Per Session Employment

The appropriate Per Session Supervisor must sign and submit this form to request a waiver of the restrictions on per session employment, in accordance with Chancellor’s Regulation C-175 [LINK]. Per Session employment may not exceed 500 hours (with a maximum of 270 hours in a school psychologist and/or school social worker (SP/ SW) position) in a per session year unless prior approval is received from the Division of Human Resources.

OP 198: Application for Excuse of Absence for Personal Illness (Sick Leave)

This form is used by all pedagogues to apply for medical certification for absence up to 20 consecutive school days, for requests to borrow sick days, for excuse of absence due to children’s diseases, and for injury in the line of duty claims. Rules and instructions are on page 2 of the form.

OP 201: Application for Excuse of Absence Without Pay and/or as Non-Attendance

All pedagogues and paraprofessionals use this form to request time off with pay and no loss of CAR time for the circumstances listed on page 2 (death in the family, jury duty, graduation, religious observance, etc.). OP 201 is also used to request a day off without pay in certain circumstances.

OP 221: Application for Attending a Convention or Conference Outside NYC

All pedagogues, paraprofessionals and administrative staff use this form to request approval for time off for a meeting or conference either with pay as non-attendance and no loss of CAR time, or without pay.

OP 407: Confidential Medical Report and Medical Evaluation

All pedagogues, paraprofessionals and administrative staff are required to submit an OP 407 when applying for sabbatical leaves, for restoration of health leaves, for sick leaves over 20 consecutive school days and for alleged line of duty injuries. To maintain confidentiality, this form may be submitted directly to the Medical Bureau in place of a doctor’s statement on an OP 198 form.

PD 6: Application for Leave of Absence for Health Reasons

Administrative staff may apply for a medical leave of absence without pay only when they have exhausted all sick leave and/or annual leave days. This application must be completed, signed and submitted to HR Connect for approval. Documentation and/or statement of particulars must be submitted with the form.

Application to Use Earned Annual/Sick Leave or Report Non-Chargeable Absence

All UFT members may use this form to report any kind of absence (e.g. sick day, personal day, meeting attendance, etc.).

Application for Borrowing Sick Days for UFT Paraprofessionals

Paras may use this form to borrow up to 10 days per year to cover serious personal illness.

PD 19: Application for Excuse of Absence with Pay for Administrative Employees

Administrative employees should use this form to apply for a paid excused absence in one of the accepted circumstances for excused absence (e.g. death in the family, jury duty, workers' compensation, etc.).

DOE Documents about Absences

Special Circular No. 16: Bereavement Leave Policy for Pedagogical Employees

This document extends the bereavement leave policy to domestic partnerships. It includes the Affidavit of Domestic Partnership for Bereavement Leave Eligibility, which may be used to designate a domestic partner.

Chancellor's Regulation C-175: Per Session Employment

This regulation governs the provision of per session services by pedagogic employees. It explains when per session may be served and sets forth the process to be followed for approval of per session hours.

Chancellor’s Regulation C-606 – Time Off for Religious Observance

Accommodations and procedures for requesting time off for religious observance.

Personnel Memorandum #5, 2008-2009: Excused leave for breast cancer screening, prostate cancer screening and donating of blood.

This memorandum sets forth the policy to be followed to permit employee leave for breast cancer screening, prostate cancer screening and blood donation. Replaces Personnel Memorandum #22, issued November 23, 1998, which applied only to administrative employees.

Personnel Memorandum #5A, 2008-2009: Excused leave for breast cancer screening, prostate cancer screening and donating of blood.

This memorandum sets forth the policy to be followed to permit employee leave for breast cancer screening, prostate cancer screening and blood donation. To be read in conjunction with Personnel Memorandum #7, issued Feb. 26, 2009, regarding “Time off for Administrative Employees Who Donate Blood.”

Personnel Memorandum #7, 2008-2009: Time off for administrative employees who donate blood.

This memorandum allows for time off up to 3 hours for employees who donate blood.

DOE Memo: 2010-2011 Procedures for School Closings and Delayed School Openings

This memorandum reaffirms the chancellor's authority to announce the citywide closing or delayed opening of schools, and outlines the requirements and expectations that pertain to the dissemination of information on the chancellor's announcement, the impact on pupil transportation and other procedures, the school activities that should take place during any delayed school opening day, and the responsibilities of school support organizations and central offices.

General Circular No. 13 – Permission to Be Absent Without Pay For the Purpose of Marriage and Honeymoon

Please refer only to Item 2: Permission to Be Absent Without Pay For the Purpose of Marriage and Honeymoon.

DOE Memo: Sick Leave for Per Session Employees

This memorandum establishes that per session employees earn one session of sick leave for every 20 consecutive per session activities.

Operational Memorandum #51: Sick Leave for Per Session Employees

This memorandum addresses per session sick leave for per session activities with varying schedules: the total per session hours reported after 20 consecutive sessions is divided by 20.

Personnel Memorandum #3, 2008-2009: Career Training Program Release Time for UFT Paraprofessionals

During the fall and spring semesters, the Department of Education will grant 2 1/2 hours of release time per week with pay for study and/or travel to an accredited college. The paraprofessional must complete a total of at least five semester hours/credits of only undergraduate study during that same semester to be eligible for release time.

User login
Enter the email address you used to sign up at UFT.org.
If you don't have a UFT.org profile, please sign up.
Forgot your password?