New York State Certification

You must have a valid New York State certificate for the area or level you want to be eligible to teach. You can apply for a full-time teaching position that matches your certificate title. Once you are hired to fill a position, you will be licensed and appointed by the New York City Department of Education. Make sure you complete all the license requirements and apply for and receive your Professional Certificate in a timely manner.

During the five-year period starting on July 1, 2016, professionally certified teachers and Level III certified paraprofessionals are required to collect a total of 100 professional development hours, now called Continuing Teacher and Leader Education (CTLE) hours, by a state-approved provider such as the UFT Teacher Center.

Teachers and Level III certified paras will now have to keep their own records and should put documentation of workshops they have attended in a CTLE folder.

For more information on certification, see our Certification section, the certification FAQ or Chancellor's Regulation C-205.

User login
Enter the email address you used to sign up at
If you don't have a profile, please sign up.
Forgot your password?