Skip to main content
Full Menu Close Menu

Tax Credit Help For Providers

All providers should be aware of important federal and state tax credits, worth up to thousands of dollars, for which you could be eligible.

You will need to claim these tax credits when you file your 2009 tax return. Families filing their 2009 tax returns may be eligible for up to:

  • $2,100 from the federal Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit;
  • $1,000 per child from the federal Child Tax Credit;
  • $5,657 from the federal Earned Income Tax Credit; and
  • $800 from the new Making Work Pay Credit (if you have not already received it in your take-home pay).

The city and state of New York offer additional tax credits. As a resident of New York City, you may also be eligible for up to:

  • $2,310 from the New York State Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit and $1,733 from the New York City Child Care Tax Credit;
  • $1,697 from the New York Earned Income Tax Credit; and
  • $330 per child from the Empire State Child Tax Credit.

You may be eligible for these city, state, and federal tax credits even if you do not owe income tax. But, in order to collect credits for which you are eligible, you must file a tax return.

Find out where you can get free help with your taxes by calling the IRS toll-free at 800-TAX-1040 or 800-829-1040. Or go to

You can also contact the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance toll-free at 800-225-5829. To find out where to get free income tax preparation assistance, call AARP Tax-Aide toll-free at 888-AARP-NOW or 888-227-7669. New York City residents may also call 311.

Para español, por favor clique aquí.