We are proud veterans of every branch of the US military – Coast Guard, Air Force, Marines, Army and Navy – who continue to proudly serve our country as New York City public school teachers. Our members are returned from active duty, reservists and National Guardsmen; we include veterans of every American conflict from the Second World War to the ongoing conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.
As educators, we are both in-service and retired teachers of all subjects across the public school curriculum. We are especially proud of our Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps instructors who regularly send their students to West Point, Annapolis, and the Air Force and Coast Guard academies, as well as to prestigious civilian institutions.
If you have served your country in the military and continue to heed the call to public service in the New York City school system, we invite you to join us. Our committee has various goals. These include
- Promoting veterans’ issues and public education issues.
- Promoting legislation for veterans.
- Promoting the ideals of public education and the importance of citizenship and civic responsibility.
- Educating veterans about their rights and entitlements, including property tax exemptions and medical and educational benefits.
- Encouraging veterans to share their experiences with educational institutions, the general public and each other.
- Remembering, always and forever, the men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice in the defense and service of their country.
Our past accomplishments as a committee include winning pension credits for veterans’ military service and increased funding and mandatory refunding for the Veteran Affairs Administration. We also regularly participate in the annual Veterans’ Day Parade on November 11th and Memorial Wreath Laying Ceremony the Wednesday before Memorial Day. We hope you will join us!
Our meetings are fun, with plenty of camaraderie. For upcoming meetings, please call 212-598-7772, watch this webpage or read New York Teacher.