Dear parents and caregivers,
I hope the school year is off to a great start for you and your family! Remember to save the date for our UFT Queens Fall Parent Conference on Saturday, Nov. 20! We’ll have workshops, speakers and resources of interest to Queens parents and caregivers. I’ll be in touch soon with registration information and further details. Download the flier »
Check out more upcoming events and resources below.
UFT Queens Parent and Community Liaison
- Fridays, Oct. 1 to Dec. 17: The Queens Public Library will host a virtual support group for new mothers at 12:30 p.m. every Friday until Dec. 17. Drop in to find resources, information and mutual support for mothers of infants between 0 and 12 months. To register, email email@example.com.
- Multiple dates until Nov. 8: Come to an information session about a new savings program that will automatically award $100 in college savings for every kindergartner this fall. Information sessions will be in English, Spanish, Arabic and Mandarin. Find an event and learn more about the college savings benefit by visiting the website »
News you can use
- Student contest to explore the issue of segregation: The Century Foundation invites students to submit a creative project exploring the questions, “What is the story of segregation in your community?" and "How can it be fixed?” Winners will receive cash prizes ranging from $50 to $575 and the opportunity to share their ideas with leaders and policymakers. Projects can be written, audio, video or other media presentations. Submissions are due by Monday, Nov. 1. Learn more and apply »
- Free virtual coaching for Black girls: I’RAISE Girls & Boys International invites Black girls between the ages of 11 and 19 to get free, virtual coaching to promote self-esteem, confidence and life skills. Coaching runs until Dec. 31. Learn more and register »
- More I’RAISE virtual youth programs: I’RAISE has a variety of virtual programming for kids and teens between the ages of 4 and 19. Program topics include art, dance, STEM, financial literacy, yoga, SAT/ACT and college preparation, read-aloud programs and more. See the offerings and register »