The DOE issued the following guidance on June 5.
Utilizing digital curricular options, instruction in summer school will be individualized for students. This requires information from the current teacher about learning objectives that are in progress for individual students attending summer school. The DOE has updated STARS report card comments for English language arts, math, science, and social studies to better reflect grade level standards and expectations. DOE provided STARS report comments will be used to inform summer coursework for students.
Teachers must enter information in STARS using revised DOE provided report comments for all students who are mandated or recommended for summer school in each subject area in which a summer school recommendation is made. Teachers must indicate the learning objectives students are in the progress of meeting and document any challenges students faced during the remote learning period. The information provided on STARS report cards will be used to design summer learning opportunities that are tailored to students’ individual needs.
|Grade Level||Expectation for Report Card Completion for Students Mandated or Recommended to Summer School|
Teachers should enter 7-12 comments per subject area only in ELA, math, or both based on the subject areas the student will be attending summer school for.
Teachers should enter 7-12 comments per subject area only in ELA, math, science, and/or social studies based on the subject areas the student will be attending summer school for.
Enter DOE provided report card comments for the specific course(s) in which the student will be receiving summer instruction (i.e., courses with NX grades).
Teachers should enter 7-12 comments per course the student will be attending summer school for.
Schools should follow these directions for entering report card comments in STARS:
- To enter comments, teachers should use the STARS Classroom Download/Upload file or the Electronic Grade Gathering file shared by their STARS Administrator.
- For each row in the grade file, teachers can enter the comment ID numbers or copy/paste from the “Comments tab” for the first three comments for each subject or competency.
- For elementary school, each subject area and competency is listed separately. Teacher should enter comments for the specific competencies in which the student needs support, for a total of 7-12 across the entire subject area.
- Teachers can enter the comment IDs or copy/paste from the "Comments" tab for the first three comments for each subject or competency.
- Additional comments should be added to the narrative column. For the additional comments, teachers can use the “Comments” tab to copy the text they need. Teachers must separate the comments using a semi-colon.
All comments will appear on report cards. The comment IDs will auto-generate the text for comments 1-3 and the narrative comments will appear as they appear in the "Narrative" column.