Skip to main content
Full Menu

Retiring soon? Make sure to maintain NYSUT membership

New York Teacher

Are you planning to retire soon from active employment? If so, you’ll need to maintain your UFT membership as a retiree to continue participating in NYSUT Member Benefits-endorsed programs and services.

Retiree membership with the UFT automatically provides you with prepaid retiree membership in NYSUT and the American Federation of Teachers, one of the UFT’s national affiliates.

Payroll to pension deduction

The transition from payroll deduction for NYSUT Member Benefits-endorsed programs to pension deduction is NOT immediate and automatic. However, if you follow the steps below, your transition should be smooth.

Contact NYSUT Member Benefits at 800-626-8101 when you know your definite retirement date. Member Benefits will then communicate that information to the plan administrator of programs in which you participate.

Call the plan administrator to verify your address on record so you can be billed at home once your payroll deductions stop. Member Benefits can provide you with the necessary contact information.

You should receive a bill for each program you had on payroll deduction. If you do not receive a bill, contact the program administrator to verify that a bill was mailed to your proper address.

Any discounts you enjoyed with payroll deduction will continue for up to one year with your home billing. Pension deduction yields the same discounts and additional coverages as payroll deduction.

Pay each bill you receive. It is necessary to be on home billing for one billing cycle so your pension system has time to put your regular retirement allowance payment in place.

Deductions cannot be taken from the advance payments that the New York City Teachers’ Retirement System issues prior to sending your regular retirement allowance payments. You must be receiving your regular retirement allowance payments from TRS or the New York City Board of Education Retirement System to be eligible for pension deduction for NYSUT Member Benefits-endorsed programs.

When you receive the bill for the next premium, it should include a Pension Deduction Authorization Card. Complete and sign the card and send it and the bill to the plan administrator in lieu of payment. If you do not receive a Pension Deduction Authorization Card with your second bill, contact NYSUT Member Benefits.

Upon receipt of your Pension Deduction Authorization Card, the plan administrator transmits the details to Member Benefits regarding pension deduction for your program(s).

Member Benefits then submits this information to your pension system to start the deductions with your next regular retirement allowance payment. This process must be done for each of your programs. Please allow time for completion of the steps.

Resigning your job?

If you are in-service and leaving the UFT bargaining unit (no longer working for the Department of Education) at the end of the school year for any reason other than retirement and are participating in any NYSUT Member Benefits-endorsed programs, you must join NYSUT as an associate member-continuing NYSUT Member Benefits coverage to continue participating in those programs. Payroll deduction, however, is not available for associate members.

Please contact NYSUT Member Benefits at 800-626-8101 or visit the NYSUT Member Benefits website if you have any questions or for information about contractual endorsement arrangements with providers of endorsed programs.

For questions about continuing membership with the UFT as a retiree, contact the UFT Membership Department at 212-598-6855.

Agency fee payers are eligible to participate in NYSUT Member Benefits-endorsed programs.

Related Topics: News Stories, Pension