The following email about remote era licensing requirements was sent on May 22, 2020, to school secretaries by the New York City Department of Education.
As you know, in order to obtain your Permanent License and fulfill the Maximum Requirements as a School Secretary you must complete the following:
- Your required number of semester hours of college credits including two semester hours in School Records and Accounts Office Procedures 1;
- Child Abuse Identification workshop;
- School Violence Protection (SAVE) workshop;
- Dignity for All Students Act (DASA) workshop;
- NYCDOE new secretary online training (systems and payroll)
Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, many of the classes required for college credits, workshops and online training were canceled, and many of the summer programs have been canceled as well.
If, as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, you were unable to complete your requirements, the NYC Department of Education will grant a one year time extension to allow you to fulfill these requirements. No action is required by you.
Please note the following important information:
With a BA or AA degree, secretaries had 2 years from the effective date of their license to complete requirements;
With a high school diploma or GED, secretaries had 3 years from the effective date of their license to complete requirements.
If you have any questions, please email SCHOOLSECMAXREQUIREMENTS@schools.nyc.gov.