Dear parents and caregivers,
Register soon for our virtual UFT Staten Island parent conference on Saturday, Nov. 13, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.! We’ll have workshops on topics such as Understanding the IEP (available in both English and Spanish) and Google Classroom for Parents. Plus, we’ll have speakers, resources and other surprises.
Check out more upcoming events and news you can use below.
UFT Staten Island Parent and Community Liaison
- Sunday, Oct. 31: Celebrate Halloween at the Staten Island Children's Museum by visiting in costume! There will be treats at every exhibit. Plan your visit by checking out the website.
- Monday, Nov. 8: Come to a virtual Community Education Council forum with the schools chancellor at 6 p.m. You can register online and reserve a spot to speak by visiting the DOE website. You can also submit questions or comments on the CEC website.
- Multiple dates until Nov. 8: Come to an information session about a new savings program that this fall will automatically award $100 in college savings for every kindergartner. Information sessions will be in English, Spanish, Arabic and Mandarin. Find an event and learn more about the college savings benefit by visiting the website.
- Starting in November: The city Department for the Aging will host an online Grandparent Empowerment Series of workshops that will meet every week. The schedule and other details will be available soon, but you can learn more, including how to reserve your spot, by checking out the flier.
News you can use
- Virtual NYC experiences: NYC attractions, cultural institutions and entertainment venues are constantly holding online events you can enjoy from home. Find out more »
- Get a $50 monthly internet credit: All families with children in New York City public schools are eligible to receive up to a $50 monthly discount on broadband service and equipment and a one-time discount of up to $100 on a computer. This is part of a federal Emergency Broadband Benefit Program. Learn how to apply »
The federal program is just one of many free Wi-Fi services available to NYC families. For a more exhaustive list, check out this resource guide from Gotham Professional Arts Academy »
- Apply for a $5,000 UFT scholarship: Each year, the UFT awards $1 million in scholarships to academically excellent and financially eligible New York City public high school seniors through our Albert Shanker Scholarship Fund. The deadline this school year to apply for a $5,000 scholarship is Saturday, Jan. 15. Learn more and apply »