The possibility of a New York State constitutional convention is a threat to our basic rights and benefits because it would allow delegates to tinker with any part of the document including our pension guarantees. The UFT Delegate Assembly has voted to urge a decisive NO vote on the proposal in the Nov. 7, 2017, election. UFT President Michael Mulgrew recently sent this flier to retirees so I am reinforcing his message by making that flier my first column for the new school year.
What can you do to help?
- 1. Spread the word to family and friends.
- 2. Write a letter to the editor of your local paper. See a sample at www.uft.org/chapters/retirees/letters-editor.
- 3. For more information, check the NYSUT website at www.uft.org/files/attachments/constitutional_convention_information_fro….
- 4. Look for an e-mail to volunteer to call fellow New Yorkers from our phone banks.
- 5. If you’re not a New York State voter, find friends and family members who are and convince them to help you stay secure.
REMEMBER: TURN THE BALLOT OVER TO CAST YOUR NO VOTE. YOUR PENSION DEPENDS ON IT.