In the fall of 2018, the Teachers’ Retirement System announced an operational change that will save money and be good for the environment: TRS stopped mailing paper Quarterly Account Statements to retirement system members it can reach via email.
This change took effect with the account statements for the fourth quarter of 2018.
For years now, TRS has posted account statements in the secure section of its website each quarter. TRS will notify members by email when new statements are posted. Members can then log in and view, print and save statements.
As it introduces more self-service options online, TRS is encouraging members to register on its website. Members who are registered but haven’t visited the site in a while may need to input new login information due to recent security upgrades.
The staff at TRS understands some members prefer paper account statements delivered in the mail, but it hopes most members will enjoy the security and the timeliness of online statements as well as appreciate that TRS is saving paper and money with the new digital approach.
TRS expects to conserve about 2.25 million sheets of paper — and not send at least 600,000 pieces of mail — each year simply by phasing out mailed statements. We hope you will support TRS in this change.
What you can do on the TRS website
Members can do a number of tasks on the TRS website after they log in with their username and password.
From “My Home”
- Update your contact information.
- Review account information, loan information and beneficiary information.
- View monthly unit values and historical data for TRS’ Passport Funds.
- Update your mailing address, phone number and email address.
- Change your password and security image.
- Certify a date of birth.
- Use the Loan Calculator to determine borrowing power and available payment plans.
- Apply for a new pension loan and manage existing ones.
- Apply for a new TDA loan and manage existing ones.
- Enroll in TRS’ Tax-Deferred Annuity program.
- Change your TDA investment mix.
- Change your TDA contribution rate.
- Apply, if eligible, for a TDA withdrawal, including a hardship withdrawal.
- View your monthly account balance.
- View, download or print a Quarterly Account Statement.
- View, download or print your Annual Benefit Statement.
From “Planning Tools”
- Register for a TRS educational program.
- Use the Retirement Allowance Calculator and view benefit estimates.
- Estimate the cost to purchase service and request a cost letter.
- View the beneficiaries on file for your pension and TDA benefits.
- Update the contact information of your beneficiarie so TRS can easily reach them.
- Update or add beneficiary designations to reflect life changes, such as marriage or children.
Other things to do on the TRS website:
- Download and print forms.
- Access newsletters, financial reports and brochures.
- Find answers to hundreds of benefits-related questions.
- Learn about membership eligibility and benefits.
- See a calendar of educational programs.
|Variable A||Variable B||Variable C||Variable D||Variable E|
|2018-2019||Diversified Equity||Bond||International Equity||Inflation Protection||Socially Responsive Equity|
|For more pension information, call you UFT borough office or the Teachers' Retirement System at 1-888-8NYC-TRS (1-888-869-2877); or visit the UFT pension department or TRS.|