The members of the Adult Education Chapter work for the Department of Education in the Office of Adult and Continuing Education (OACE). OACE teachers teach adults age 21 and over in many neighborhoods in all five boroughs. OACE serves about 40,000 students per year in morning, afternoon, evening, and Saturday classes. OACE offers classes in English as a Second Language, Basic Education, GED, and Career and Technical Education (CTE). CTE classes include Licensed Practical Nursing, Certified Nursing Assistant, Medical Billing, Web Design, Computer Literacy, A+ Certification, and Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning.
- Some classes are at learning centers in Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan, and Queens. Others are in public schools or at community based sites.
- Many of our students are parents and grandparents of children in the New York City Public Schools. We encourage parent coordinators and K-12 teachers to inform parents of the free adult education classes offered by OACE.
- The Adult Education Chapter believes that well educated parents are more likely to have children who succeed in school. We emphasize family education and lifelong learning.
- The Adult Education Chapter strives to support the teachers who provide this important service.
Adult Education Fliers
Download, print, and distribute these DOE fliers to help promote adult education programs!
- Chapter Leader: Lawan Bailey, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Representative at Large: Susan Byrnes, email@example.com
646-654-1261 ext. 4121 between the hours of 9 a.m. and 3:40 p.m.
- School 1 - Carlene Reynolds
- School 2 - Pat Johnson
- School 3 - Gina Ficentise
- School 4 - Fram Meyerson
- School 5 - Rina Johnson
- School 6 - Evett Thom
- School 7 - Sarah Shapiro
- School 8 - Lawan Bailey