Dear parents and caregivers,
There’s still time to register for our Queens Virtual Fall Parent Conference on Saturday, Nov. 20, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. This year’s theme is Queens Courage: Moving Forward Together. You can choose from eight workshops offered during two workshop sessions, plus we’ll hear from fascinating speakers.
Check out more upcoming events and resources below.
UFT Queens Parent and Community Liaison
- Saturday, Nov. 13: The UFT is a cosponsor of a citizenship workshop from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at The Salvation Army, 2121 Washington Ave., in the Bronx. Free, in-person citizenship application assistance will be available. Register by calling 888-839-8682. For more details, including required documents, see the flier in English and Spanish.
- Starting in November: The city Department for the Aging will host an online Grandparent Empowerment Series of workshops that will meet online every week. The schedule and other details will be available soon, but you can learn more, including how to reserve your spot, by checking out the flier.
News you can use
- Free vaccinations for children aged 5-11: The CDC now recommends a pediatric COVID-19 vaccine for children ages 5-11. If you get your child vaccinated at a city-run or school site, the city will pay you $100. The vaccine is a safe, effective way to protect your child, family and community. Schools will host pop-up vaccination sites for students through the end of November. See the schedule »
- Apply for a $5,000 UFT scholarship: Each year, the UFT awards $1 million in scholarships to academically excellent and financially eligible New York City public high school seniors through our Albert Shanker Scholarship Fund. The deadline this school year to apply for a $5,000 scholarship is Saturday, Jan. 15. Learn more and apply »
- Get nominated to attend a military academy: Congressman Hakeem Jeffries representing District 8, which includes parts of Queens and Brooklyn, is inviting students between the ages of 17 and 23 to apply to become one of his nominees for our nation’s military academies. The academies provide tuition-free, four-year undergraduate education to students who are then commissioned as officers in the active or reserve components of the military for a minimum of five years. Learn more and apply »
- Apply to tutor at PS 19: The Beacon program at PS 19 in Corona, Queens, is hiring staff to help students in 2nd, 3rd and 4th grades with their homework. The program takes place Mondays through Thursdays from November to June. The position pays $15.50 per hour. Learn more and apply »
- Join the Education Council Consortium (ECC): The ECC is an organization of NYC public school parents dedicated to supporting parent leadership through education, networking and organizing. Parents and caregivers are invited to become a members of the ECC. Members are invited to quarterly meetings and professional development workshops, serve on committees and network with each other. You can visit the EEC website or apply online to join.