You Should Know - School Counselors
Use your personal email for all union business: DO NOT use your DOE email address to conduct union business. To do so is a violation of the DOE's internet policy. All email correspondence about grievances and other union activities should be conducted using a non-DOE personal email address.
Teachers' tenure framework is not for functional chapter members: Functional chapter members, including school counselors, should be aware that principals may not use the teacher tenure framework as a rubric to assess functional chapter members' performance or make tenure decisions. The tenure framework only applies to tenure decisions for classroom teachers. If you have questions, please contact Rosemarie Thompson at email@example.com.
SESIS — Check here for the latest information on SESIS arbitration.
Important information and DOE memos
- American School Counselor Association – The Role of the School Counselor
- Principal's Weekly guidance on administrative assignments — May 14, 2019
- School Counseling Frameworks
- DOE and UFT Brochure on School Counselors in NYC Public Schools
- Guidance on Advisory and Who Teaches It
- Salary schedules for proposed 2009-18 contract
- Rating Sheet: Annual Professional Performance Review and Report on Probationary Service of Guidance Counselor
- Current guidance on repurposed time and school counselor hours
- What every chapter leader should know about school counselors
- Contract Article 7: Assignments and Counseling Conditions
- Chancellor's Memorandum #45, 1987-1988: Provisions for School Staff
Important information to supplement Article 14 of the Guidance Counselors Contract.
- Role of the Pupil Personnel Committee
Important arbitration wins
- Guidelines for DOE employees in excess who are rotating week to week
- "Cascade" Agreement: Excessing Rules of School Counselors and Social Workers
- Coverage Arbitration
The UFT in August 2011 won an important grievance filed on behalf of guidance counselors at a Queens middle school who were forced by their principal to cover for the teacher assigned to their school’s SAVE room, instead of meeting with students that they were supposed to be counseling.