What is the difference between a state certificate and a city license?


You must have New York State certification to be hired for a full-time teaching position in New York City. The position must match the state certificate. New York City no longer issues a separate paper license, but there is still a license/appointment process that must take place in the DOE computer system once someone is hired. This determines your tenure track and your seniority for excessing and layoff.

Source URL: https://www.uft.org/faqs/what-difference-between-state-certificate-and-city-license