Who needs to be certified?

Classroom teachers, administrative and supervisory personnel, paraprofessionals and pupil personnel service professionals are required to hold a certificate issued by New York State in order to be employed in the state's public schools. Certificates are issued in a wide variety of titles in each of these three major categories.  In addition, New York State also requires that coaches, visiting lecturers and teachers of adult, community and continuing education obtain a special license.

Source URL: https://www.uft.org/faqs/who-needs-be-certified