Message from the President
The mission of the Association of Teachers of Social Studies/United Federation of Teachers is to provide a network wherein social studies educators and related professionals may advocate for social studies education and share scholarship, information, strategies and practices related to the issues important to social studies instruction.
We must provide more outreach to service our in-service teachers. ATSS/UFT is an organization of support. Considering our mission, I will make it my mission to work together through the UFT, Department of Education (DOE), New York City Social Studies Supervisors Association (NYC-SSSA), New York State Council for the Social Studies (NYSCSS), NCSS and other groups as well as direct school contact, to improve our visibility in the community of our in-service teachers.
Our cordial relationship with the new DOE can also help us to reach new teachers. We must re-establish ourselves as the go-to organization of support for NYC classroom teachers and this will be my mission as ATSS/UFT President/Chairperson.
The mission of the Association of Teachers of Social Studies/UFT is to provide a network through which Social Studies educators and other related professionals can advocate for Social Studies education and share scholarship, information, strategies and practices related to those issues that are both important and relevant to Social Studies instruction.
In support of our ongoing mission, we envision the ATSS/UFT as a valuable resource for teachers
- Providing workshops, publications and conferences aimed at communicating information and strategies about those vital issues related to a clearer understanding of our city, state, nation and world.
- Maintaining a Web site organized by both topic and strategy, containing useful links to current resources and relevant cultural institutions.
- Using emerging technologies to maintain effective lines of communication among Social Studies educators and other related professionals.
- Enhancing the ability of Social Studies educators and other related professionals to provide learned instruction that addresses New York City, New York State and national standards.
- At all times, supporting the rights of individuals to learn and grow as knowledgeable and effective members of our global community.
- Ensure that as a professional committee of the UFT, we serve the interests of members and other related Social Studies professionals as an effective vanguard organization that reflects the local concerns of New York City educators while maintaining our long standing affiliations with both the National Council of Social Studies (NCSS) and the New York State Council for the Social Studies (NYSCSS).