Plan details and coverage
When does coverage begin?
Coverage begins on the date that you meet the criteria specified in the Who is Covered? section.
Dependents become eligible on the same date as the member, or on the date they first become eligible dependents.
When does coverage terminate?
Coverage for a member terminates in the following situations:
- when the member returns to “in-service” status
- when the NYC Department of Education ceases to make contributions to the Fund on their behalf
- upon death
Dependent coverage terminates when a member's eligibility ends for any reason other than death, or on the date when the dependent no longer meets the definition of eligible dependent, whichever occurs first. In cases of the member’s death, dependent coverage terminates three (3) months following the month in which the member died.
What do my dependents do if they lose coverage?
- COBRA -The Federal Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985, (COBRA), requires that the City and UFT Welfare Fund offer eligible dependents of members the opportunity to continue health and certain Welfare Fund benefits at 102% of the group rate. The maximum period of coverage is thirty-six (36) months. Refer to the COBRA section for further details.
- Dependent Survivor Coverage - In cases of the member's death, dependent coverage terminates three (3) months following the month in which the member died.
- Unmarried Dependent Children 29 years of age or under - New York State Insurance Law allows unmarried children to be covered by the member’s insured health plan, such as your basic medical plan with NYC, if they choose, by paying the premium cost of the coverage until the unmarried child reaches his/her 30th birthday. Although not required, the UFT Welfare Fund extends this opportunity to continue the Supplemental benefits, on a self-pay basis.
Form 1095-B, Health Coverage, is a tax form that reports the type of health coverage you have, any dependents covered by your plan and the period of coverage for the prior year.
In accordance with the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, the UFT Welfare Fund annually files a return with the IRS showing that covered members and their families had health coverage for the prior calendar year.
If you wish to receive a copy of your Form 1095-B for coverage, you may request it in one three ways:
By sending an email to email@example.com.
By mailing a request to UFT Welfare Fund, 52 Broadway, 7th Floor, New York, New York 10004, Attention: 1095 Requests
By filling out an online form available at uftwf.org.
Your form will be sent within 30 days of the date your request is received. If you have questions, please call the Welfare Fund at 212-539-0500.