Skip to main content
Full Menu

Hearing Aid Certificate Request

Guide to hearing aid benefits

The hearing aid benefit provides one (1) hearing aid every three (3) years (counted from the date of your last service). The benefit includes a comprehensive audiological evaluation, ear impression and required visits necessary for the proper fitting/use of the hearing aid.

Under direct reimbursement, you are required to pay for the full cost of the service and submit to the Fund for payment. You'll submit a validated Hearing Aid certificate, along with original paid receipts to the Welfare Fund for a reimbursement maximum of $1,000.00.

Request a hearing aid certificate

Use the online form
A list of the most commonly asked questions.
How do I enroll in the hearing aid program?

To take advantage of this benefit, the first thing you should do is order a Hearing Aid Certificate. The fastest way to get a certificate is to go to the Welfare Fund website and request a certificate online for each family member in need of the service. You also can call the UFT Welfare Fund's automated hotline at 212-539-0539.

I received my certificate for my hearing aids. Can I use it twice, or use a portion of it for one visit and the other portion for the next?

You cannot split the certificate by using it first for a checkup and then at a later date to purchase a hearing aid. The Welfare Fund recommends you use your medical benefits for a checkup or evaluation and use the certificate only when you are ready to purchase a hearing aid. That way, you'll get the most value from the certificate.

I am a retired teacher and need a hearing aid. How do I receive this benefit?

As a service to retired UFT members, the UFT Welfare Fund will process the hearing-aid reimbursement for retirees who are enrolled in the Supplemental Health Insurance Program (SHIP). For more information about SHIP, visit the UFT website:

Can I use any provider or do I have to use a specific provider/audiologist for my hearing aids?

Yes, but there are benefits to using a panel provider. Besides the discounts offered, the Welfare Fund requires our panelists to have a licensed audiologist at their facility to ensure quality service.

The best way to save money is to use one of the Welfare Fund's preferred providers, who have agreed to give a 25 percent discount to UFT members and their dependents.

The preferred provider list is available by calling the Welfare Fund hotline at 212-539-0539, or you can download the list from the Welfare Fund website:

If I get an evaluation but choose not to get hearing aids, should I use the certificate?

We suggest that you use the certificate only for a full service, including the hearing aid. If you use the certificate and only get the evaluation, we will pay the evaluation fee, but you will be deemed to have used the entire $1,000 benefit and you will not be eligible for another certificate for three years. Instead, if you pay for the evaluation (and possibly submit the claim to your health plan), you will save the $1,000 benefit and can use it when you are ready to purchase your hearing aid.

Can I use any hearing aid provider?

Yes, but there are benefits to using a panel provider. Besides the discounts offered, the Fund requires our panelists to have a licensed audiologist at their facility to ensure quality service.

My spouse and I are both UFT members, can we get double coverage for hearing aids?

Yes, you can ask for a validated certificate under your own name and another one as a dependent of your spouse.

How much can I get reimbursed for a hearing aid?

The Fund will reimburse a maximum of $1,000. If you use a preferred provider, you can receive at least a 25 percent discount on your purchase. If you are a retiree who belongs to SHIP, the Fund will now also process your claim for the SHIP scheduled payment.

Does the UFT Welfare Fund provide a benefit for the purchase of hearing aids?

Yes, all members and their dependents can get one hearing aid benefit every three years. This is a direct reimbursement program whereby you pay the bill and the Fund will reimburse you. You can use the Fund’s panel or choose any provider.