COVID vaccines now optional: As of Feb. 10, 2023, COVID-19 vaccination is no longer required for current and future DOE employees. UFT members who had an approved religious or medical exemption to the vaccine will now be able to return to their school or worksite. Former employees who resigned or were terminated for failing to submit proof of vaccination may reapply to work for the city but will not be able to automatically return to their previous positions. Also as of Feb. 10, visitors to school DOE school buildings are no longer required to provide proof of a COVID-19 vaccine before entry. See the mayor's announcement.
COVID death benefit extended through 2024: Gov. Hochul extended the death benefit for dependents of UFT members who pass away due to COVID-19. Benefits include 50% of the member's salary as a pension benefit for beneficiaries, and health care coverage for immediate family members. The original criteria to receive benefits remains in effect through Dec. 31, 2024.
Situation Room has closed: The Situation Room permanently closed as of Dec. 23. Principals are no longer be required to inform school communities of individual COVID-19 cases by letter. However, principals will continue to report all cases online, and the DOE's Daily COVID Case Map will continue to be updated. See the announcement in the Dec. 20 P-Digest for more information.
Digital classroom agreement for 2022-23: The DOE's policies for this school year concerning the creation of digital classrooms by teachers and related service providers has been released. The agreement also outlines the policies in place regarding remote instruction for students who test positive for COVID-19 and compensation for members. Read the agreement.
COVID safety protocols and absence policies: The DOE has released its health and safety protocols for the 2022-23 school year. The new protocols closely follow the new COVID-19 guidelines recently issued by the CDC. See our FAQ for the 2022-23 school year for more information.
Guidance from the DOE
- DOE Summer 2023 calendar (March 2, 2023)
- DOE school health policy (Feb. 9, 2023)
- Updates on DOE's Grading, Attendance and Messaging Application (GAMA) (Sept. 16, 2022)
- Teacher evaluation deadlines and benchmarks for 2022-23 (Sept. 14, 2022)
- School transportation reminders for 2022-23 (Sept. 1, 2022)
- What's new in student transportation (Sept. 2022)
- Student attendance policies (Aug. 29, 2022)
- Digital classroom agreement for 2022-23 (Aug. 24, 2022)
- Personnel memo No. 1 for 2022-23 (July 1, 2022)
- Updated DOE Personnel Memo No. 1 (Jan. 3, 2022)
- Payroll Memo No.6 regarding absences for vaccines (Dec. 3, 2021)
- Personnel Memo No. 1 from 2021-22 (Sept. 10, 2021)
Check the COVID numbers
The DOE maintains a database with current COVID cases reported to the Situation Room and a city map of schools with at least one case.