Skip to main content
Full Menu

Medical Accommodations

If you have been denied a COVID-19 medical accommodation by the DOE, fill out the UFT's notification form.

I do not have a medical accommodation, but I have a family member who is at risk of a more serious COVID infection (per CDC guidelines). How does the agreement of 9/25/20 affect me?

If you are the primary caregiver for your family member, and you live with her or him, you have priority for a remote position. If remote positions exist in your school, you should be assigned to one as soon as is practicable.

I recently developed a medical condition that puts me at higher risk. How do I ask for a medical accommodation?

You can apply on SOLAS or call the UFT Call Center at 212-331-6311 to be directed to the appropriate union representative to assist you.

My medical accommodation expires in December. When should I re-apply?

If your condition doesn’t change and the environmental conditions don’t change, you shouldn’t have to reapply. We are working to make sure that is the case.

If I am on a leave of absence, can I apply for a medical accommodation before I return?

Yes. There is no deadline to apply for the accommodation.

I live with someone who has an underlying medical condition that puts them at higher risk if I bring COVID-19 home. Has anything been negotiated for members like me so that I can work remotely?

We have given the DOE a proposal to give members in your position first priority on additional remote positions, but nothing has been finalized yet.