Skip to main content
Full Menu

Medical Accommodations

If you have been denied a COVID-19 medical accommodation by the DOE, fill out the UFT's notification form.

My medical accommodation expires in December. When should I re-apply?

Most people will not have to reapply, and will have their accommodations automatically extended until the end of the school year. For 12-month employees, the accommodation will be extended through June.

The only people who may have to reapply are those that were accommodated on the basis of pregnancy.  If you have not yet given birth, you can apply for an extension of your accommodation beginning December 1. If you have given birth, and you are not on a leave of absence, you should either speak to your principal about your program after 12/31, or you could apply for an accommodation on the basis of another CDC-listed condition, if that applies to you. 

If you are on an accommodation for any condition other than pregnancy, you will receive an email confirming the extension of your medical accommodation from the DOE in the coming days. The DOE cannot email everyone at once, so the emails will go out on a rolling basis. If you have not received an email confirmation from the DOE by Dec. 7, 2020, please contact the union. 

I do not have a medical accommodation, but I have a family member who is at risk of a more serious COVID-19 infection (per CDC guidelines). Has anything been negotiated for members like me so that I can work remotely?

Teachers may now submit proof of their eligibility for consideration for a remote teaching assignment using the Self-Service Online Leave Application (SOLAS). The DOE will review the documentation you submit to determine if you meet the criteria as a primary caregiver for a person at increased risk of severe illness.

If you are determined to be eligible, the DOE will notify you and your principal. Although teachers who meet the eligibility requirements should be given priority for remote teaching positions, approval to work remotely is ultimately subject to the needs of your school.

If you have been granted a remote teaching assignment due to a vulnerable family member, your assignment will be automatically extended until the end of the 2020-21 school year. 

I recently developed a medical condition that puts me at higher risk. How do I ask for a medical accommodation?

You can apply on SOLAS or call the UFT Call Center at 212-331-6311 to be directed to the appropriate union representative to assist you.

If I am on a leave of absence, can I apply for a medical accommodation before I return?

Yes. There is no deadline to apply for the accommodation.