The voting process
Election of chapter leader, other chapter officers and delegates to the Delegate Assembly will be conducted telephonically for school chapters this year, under the supervision of an Election Committee. When the chapter conducts an election, there must be clear notice of the process posted, emailed or discussed at a union meeting.
Below is the voting process as directed by your chapter's Election Committee. Members of the Election Committee must do the following:
- Assure their own election or appointment to the committee was done according to the rules established by the UFT for a chapter.
- Prepare a notice requesting nominations for positions and get that notice to each chapter member by email, by placing fliers in school mailboxes and by placing the official Chapter Election 2021 poster on the UFT bulletin board.
- An election calendar must be created and must include the final date for nominations, which must be at least three school days after the chapter’s election date is confirmed by the American Arbitration Association (AAA) and UFT; and the date of election.
- After the UFT supplies a chapter contact list of members eligible to participate in the election and nonmembers who may not, committee members must revise that list if necessary.
- The American Arbitration Association will assign the date of each school chapter election and will send a notification by mail and by email to all members eligible to vote in that election. Elections will be coordinated with AAA and will begin no earlier than May 15 and conclude no later than June 18.
- Inform members that the AAA will send each of them telephonic voting instructions through the mail that include a unique PIN number and the date the election will be conducted.
- AAA shall conduct the vote, certify the outcome(s) and notify the UFT of the results. The UFT shall disclose the results to the appropriate parties.
If you have any questions about the procedures or if any questions arise during the election process, call the UFT Election Hotline at 212-331-6310.