- Who We Are
- Where We Stand
- Our Rights
- Our Benefits
- Our Chapters
- ADAPT Community Network
- Administrative Education Officers and Analysts
- Adult Education
- Bright Horizons
- Block Institute
- Education Officers & Education Analysts
- Family Child Care Providers
- Federation of Nurses
- Hearing Education Services
- Hearing Officers (Per Session)
- Lab Specialists
- Lamm Preschool
- Occupational / Physical Therapists
- Retired Teachers
- School Counselors
- School Nurses
- School Secretaries
- Social Workers & Psychologists
- Speech Improvement
- Supervisors of Nurses & Therapists
- Teachers Assigned
- Vision Education Services
- Charter School Chapters
- Non-DOE Education Chapters
- Other DOE Chapters
- Get Involved
- Career Timeline
- CTLE / LearnUFT
- Classroom Resources
- Courses / Workshops
- English Language Learners
- Job Opportunities
- Positive Learning Collaborative
- Professional Development Resources
- Students with Disabilities
- Teacher Center
- Teacher Leadership
- Teacher's Choice
- Team High School
Dental Benefits forms
The following information has been mailed to all members and communicated in the New York Teacher.
Effective February 1, 2012, we have adjusted our dental schedule to include some new copays which reflect the need to keep our participating providers, and keeping a wide array of dental care benefits available for all members and their dependents.
Frequently Asked Questions
Guide to Dental Benefits
Scheduled benefit plan
Members may choose to access either
- a panel dentist through SIDS — Self- Insured Dental Services (NY Area) or the Florida PPO Panel (Florida Area), with little or no out-of-pocket cost;
- or may choose any dentist and submit for reimbursement according to the UFT Welfare Fund Schedule of Covered Dental Expenses.
For members who want no out-of-pocket expenses for covered dental services, Dentcare, a dental HMO is available. Members may select a participating dentist for each family member. The Primary dentist makes specialist referrals, if needed.
Who is covered?
All eligible members and eligible dependents, as defined in the General Information section, are covered for dental benefits.
What dental benefit programs are available?
The UFT Welfare Fund offers benefits through a choice of two (2) types of dental programs as follows:
- A "fee-for-service" plan under which members may receive their dental services from a panelist (with little or no out-of-pocket costs). This is known as the UFT Welfare Fund Scheduled Benefit Plan.
- Non-participating dentist whereby a member will be reimbursed directly according to the UFT Welfare Fund’s schedule of covered dental expenses.
- A Dental HMO plan under which comprehensive dental services are covered with no out-of-pocket expenses, known as Dentcare.
Dental benefits are provided only to the extent that the services, supplies, and the course of treatment are necessary and appropriate, and that they meet professionally recognized standards of quality. Necessity and appropriateness are determined after taking into account the total current oral condition of the patient.
For more information on dental benefits, please select one of the following:
Know your benefits
Know your benefits
September 7, 2017
The UFT Welfare Fund provides dental benefits through two programs: the Scheduled Benefit Plan, which provides services through the Welfare Fund panel or a dentist of your choice; and Dentcare, a no-cost dental HMO.