- Who We Are
- Where We Stand
- Our Rights
- Our Benefits
- Our Chapters
- Guidance Counselors
- Hearing Education Services
- Lab Specialists
- Occupational / Physical Therapists
- Retired Teachers
- School Nurses
- School Secretaries
- Social Workers & Psychologists
- Speech Improvement
- Supervisors of Nurses & Therapists
- Teachers Assigned
- Other DOE Chapters
- Charter School Chapters
- Non-DOE Education Chapters
- UFT Providers
- Federation of Nurses
- United Cerebral Palsy
- Get Involved
Legal Plan (Retiree)
Guide to Legal Plan (Retiree)
- Obtain certain legal services
- Access Elder Law Attorneys
Retiree Legal Plan with Elder Supplement
Who is covered?
All eligible retirees as defined in the General Information section. Your spouse/domestic partner and all unmarried dependent children under the age of 25 who are members of your household are also covered.
Please Note: In the event of a retiree’s death before the expiration of the plan benefit year or his/her loss of eligibility, legal service benefits will be provided to members of the deceased’s family until the end of the plan benefit year.
What is the benefit?
The UFT Welfare Fund Retiree Legal Plan with Elder Law Supplement provides certain services free and others at a discount. This benefit is fully described in a separate booklet which is sent to you when you first become eligible for the benefit. The booklet is sent to you by the Plan Administrator, NYSUT Member Benefits, 800 Troy Schenectady Rd, Latham, NY 12110-9924, 800-626-8101. You will also receive an ID card and consultation coupons. The following is a brief outline of plan benefits:
- Telephone advice and consultation with an attorney
- Legal letters written and telephone calls made on your behalf
- Guaranteed maximum fees for specific legal matters
- Discounts for Uncontested Estates - (Probate)
- National Referral Attorney Network
- Elder Law Supplement
- Last Will and Testament with Minors Trust
- Discounts for Personal Injury cases
- Document preparation at fixed rate
- Office consultation with an attorney
- Durable Power of Attorney
- Health Care Proxy
- Living Wills
- Assistance with mortgage foreclosure
- Assistance with Debt consolidation
- Advice on Identity Theft Prevention and Victims
The Elder Law Supplement allows UFT Retirees access to Elder Law Attorneys across the country. Elder Law Attorneys will provide the highest possible level of advice regarding estate planning, trusts, complex wills, Medicaid applications, nursing home planning, etc. This specialized panel is available to you at a 20% reduction from their usual fees. The free consultation coupon may not be used for a consultation with an Elder Law Attorney.
How are benefits obtained?
The National Legal Office (the law firm of Feldman, Kramer and Monaco, P.C.) is the clearinghouse for all legal matters. The attorneys at the National Legal Office will answer your legal questions, write letters and review documents at no cost. If necessary, they will refer you to an attorney in your area for a free consultation or additional legal services.
To reach the National Legal Office in Long Island, NY, call 631-231-4480.
All other New York State residents should call 800-832-5182.
Florida residents should call 954-424-1200 or toll-free, 800-654-1945.
All other areas should call 800-292-8063.
Note: Upon eligibility for this benefit as a retiree, NYSUT will automatically refund any premiums paid after your eligibility date if you were purchasing the NYSUT Legal Plan as an active employee.