- Who We Are
- Where We Stand
- Our Rights
- Our Benefits
- Our Chapters
- ADAPT Community Network
- Administrative Education Officers and Analysts
- Adult Education
- Block Institute
- Education Officers & Education Analysts
- Family Child Care Providers
- Federation of Nurses
- Hearing Education Services
- Hearing Officers (per Session)
- Occupational / Physical Therapists
- Retired Teachers
- School Counselors
- School Nurses
- School Secretaries
- Social Workers & Psychologists
- Speech Improvement
- Supervisors of Nurses & Therapists
- Teachers Assigned
- Charter School Chapters
- Other DOE Chapters
- Other Non-DOE Chapters
- Get Involved
- Career Timeline
- CTLE / LearnUFT
- Classroom Resources
- Courses / Workshops
- English Language Learners
- Job Opportunities
- Positive Learning Collaborative
- Professional Development Resources
- Students with Disabilities
- Teacher Center
- Teacher Leadership
- Teacher's Choice
- Team High School
How do I use the Participating Panelist Program?
- Present the validated certificate to any of the Participating Optical Panelists designated on the current list of Welfare Fund Optical Centers before services are rendered and/or an order is placed*. Validated certificates must be presented to the Panelist before the expiration date. If the certificate has not been used within the period, a replacement may be obtained.
*Panelists are not required to accept a validated certificate after an order is placed.
- Upon completion of the service at the Participating Optical Panelist, make sure to sign and date Part 6 of the certificate before leaving the store. Payment will be made directly to the Participating Optical Panelist.
What are the advantages of using the Participating Optical Panelist Program?
- There is no cost to you for a covered optical service.
- The Fund has negotiated a discount and surcharge program with the panelists who have agreed to give all members and/or their dependents the following discounts in addition to the one hundred and twenty-five dollar ($125.00) reimbursement schedule:
1. For any frame or lenses (i.e. progressives) that are upgraded, they will receive a minimum 10% discount and a $100.00 frame allowance. The discount will be applied as follows:
Upgraded Service Example:
Retail Price Designer Frames:$220.00 Progressives Lenses:$225.00 Total Retail Price:$445.00 10% Minimum Panelist Discount:($ 44.50) Sub-Total:$400.50 Basic Frame Allowance (if upgraded)($100.00) Sub-Total:$300.50 Welfare Fund Benefit:($125.00) Member’s Final Cost:$175.50
Other Service Types:
TYPE OF SERVICE MINIMUM 10% DISCOUNT $100 FRAME ALLOWANCE $125 WELFARE FUND PAYMENT LENS - NO FRAME √ √ LENS WITH FRAME √ √ √ FRAME -NO LENSES √ √ √
Note: Member’s Final Cost does not take into account the surcharge items in #4 below. These items are not included in the Total Retail Price for calculating the member’s discount.
For any item purchased not in connection with their covered service, for example, a second pair of glasses, a minimum 10% discount off the retail price.
- If the member/dependent chooses, or the prescription requires, items as listed below, the panelist may charge the member/dependent no more than the following surcharges (per pair):
UV Block: $15.00
Scratch Resistant Coating: $20.00
Glare Free Coating: $30.00
Photochromic (Transitions): $50.00
- The provider cannot charge more than their usual and customary prices, including sales and special promotions.
- Because of its contractual relationship with the panelist, the Welfare Fund will offer its assistance in helping you resolve any problems with a participating optical panelist that may arise.