- Who We Are
- Where We Stand
- Our Rights
- Our Benefits
- Our Chapters
- ADAPT Community Network
- Administrative Education Officers and Analysts
- Adult Education
- Block Institute
- Education Officers & Education Analysts
- Family Child Care Providers
- Federation of Nurses
- Hearing Education Services
- Hearing Officers (Per Session)
- Occupational / Physical Therapists
- Retired Teachers
- School Counselors
- School Nurses
- School Secretaries
- Social Workers & Psychologists
- Speech Improvement
- Teachers Assigned
- Charter School Chapters
- Other DOE Chapters
- Other Non-DOE Chapters
- Get Involved
- Career Timeline
- CTLE / LearnUFT
- Classroom Resources
- Courses / Workshops
- English Language Learners
- Job Opportunities
- Positive Learning Collaborative
- Professional Development Resources
- Students with Disabilities
- Teacher Center
- Teacher Leadership
- Teacher's Choice
- Team High School
Am I automatically enrolled in MSK Direct?
Yes, there is no enrollment necessary to utilize MSK Direct. All UFT members, retirees, and their family members have automatic access to the services provided by MSK Direct.
Why Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK)?
When you are faced with cancer, reliable information and comprehensive care coordination are crucial. The experts at MSK are there to help you understand the cancer treatment process and provide practical support during your treatment. MSK is the world’s oldest and largest private cancer center, devoting more than 130 years to patient care and research. It is consistently ranked among the top hospitals for adult and pediatric cancer care in the United States. Well-known for its hospital location on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, MSK also has outpatient facilities located in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Long Island, Westchester and New Jersey.
What is MSK Direct?
MSK Direct is a team of dedicated professionals who specialize in cancer. The team includes experienced nurses, social workers, and MSK Care Advisors who will be there to guide you through the process of getting care at Memorial Sloan Kettering.
Where is Memorial Sloan Kettering located?
In addition to the main hospital in Manhattan, MSK has outpatient facilities located in New York (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Long Island and Westchester) and New Jersey.
Who is eligible to use MSK Direct?
All UFT members, retirees, and their family members have access to MSK Direct at no additional cost beyond standard copays and deductibles (subject to health insurance coverage for care at MSK).
When should I contact MSK Direct?
- When you are told you have cancer, and would like to explore options for treatment at MSK
- When you get results from a medical test or exam that may signal that you have cancer
- When you are told by your doctor to schedule an appointment with an oncologist
- If you would like a second opinion on a cancer diagnosis received from another doctor or hospital
- If you are currently in cancer treatment at MSK or elsewhere, and would like to know your options
What will the MSK Direct team do?
- Make an appointment for you at MSK, usually within two business days
- Help you gather your medical records for your first appointment
- Meet you at your first appointment to introduce you to the facility and your care team
- Continue to be a resource for you during your treatment at MSK
Do I have to pay extra to use MSK Direct?
No. All UFT members, retirees and their family members have access to MSK Direct at no additional cost, but care provided by MSK will be subject to the standard co-pay and deductibles of each individual’s insurance plan.
MSK is an in-network provider for all city health plans except Metroplus Gold, and in-network for UFT retirees with original Medicare or the GHI/BC SeniorCare Medicare supplement. Out-of-pocket costs for treatment received at MSK will vary depending on your plan.
Does this partnership impact my other benefits?
No, MSK Direct is a new and additional benefit that does not impact or change your other health benefits.
Can I access MSK Direct even if I don't have a confirmed cancer diagnosis?
Yes. MSK Direct can help you even before you receive a confirmed diagnosis of cancer. You may contact MSK Direct when you receive results from a blood test, imaging exam, or pathology report that may indicate you have cancer, or when another physician recommends that you consult with an oncologist. The staff will connect you to MSK Diagnostics, which will arrange for the appropriate tests needed to establish whether or not you have cancer. If you are diagnosed with cancer, you will then have the option to immediately begin treatment at MSK.
Can I get a second opinion at MSK?
Yes. If you have already received a diagnosis or treatment recommendation somewhere else, you may contact MSK Direct to schedule an appointment for a second opinion with an MSK physician.
Do I have to go to MSK for cancer care?
No. The services provided by MSK Direct are available to you as an option should you or a family member need to seek cancer care. The decision on where to go for care is always your decision to make.
How can I contact MSK Direct?
Call the UFT Welfare Fund’s dedicated toll-free MSK Direct line at 844-350-5034 Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. ET. Messages left outside of these hours of operation will be returned the next business day.