- Who We Are
- Where We Stand
- Our Rights
- Our Benefits
- Our Chapters
- Education Officers & Education Analysts
- Guidance Counselors
- Hearing Education Services
- Lab Specialists
- Occupational / Physical Therapists
- Retired Teachers
- School Nurses
- School Secretaries
- Social Workers & Psychologists
- Speech Improvement
- Supervisors of Nurses & Therapists
- Teachers Assigned
- Vision Education Services
- Other DOE Chapters
- Charter School Chapters
- Non-DOE Education Chapters
- Federation of Nurses
- United Cerebral Palsy
- UFT Providers
- Get Involved
Thank you for visiting UFT.org, the official web site of the United Federation of Teachers of New York (hereinafter referred to as “UFT” or “We”). Because We share your concern about privacy and are committed to protecting your privacy online, We have created this Privacy Statement to explain our information gathering and dissemination practices for this web site.
The type and amount of information received depends on how you use the site; you may provide (1) non-personal information that is collected on an aggregate basis from all users, OR (2) personal information you voluntarily choose to disclose through registering, filling out a profile form, or joining an e-mail list. UFT Members are required to register, for validation purposes, to view or use specific member-only features and services.
Collection and Use of Non-Personal Information
If you do nothing during your visit but browse, read pages, or download information, our site’s operating system will automatically record the following information about your visit without reference to your personal identity:
- The Internet domain for your Internet service, such as “xcompany.com;”
- The type of browser that you use (e.g., “AOL v7” or or “Microsoft IE 5”);
- The type of operating system that you use (e.g., Windows or Macintosh); and
- The date and time of your visit and the web pages that were viewed.
This information is used to help us diagnose technical problems, and track user interests so that We can provide content and special offers of interest to our sites’ users. We gather this information in the aggregate – as a total, not linked to individual users – and We may share it with our affiliates, and certain other reputable entities that share our interests.
Collection and Use of Personal Information
UFT collects and uses personal information that you voluntarily provide for the purposes described below. By “personal information,” We mean information that, on its own, can specifically identify you. This includes your name, e-mail address, and zip code. Any information you provide is collected and stored by UFT.
- Registration & Profile Information: In order to provide valuable services to parents, prospective teachers, and other interested New Yorkers, UFT invites all web site visitors to complete a short registration form and create a web site account. By providing your email address, zip code and interests, We will continually improve our web site content, and will occasionally send you email messages that We believe will be of interest to you based on your preferences. At times, We may share your email address with our affiliates, and certain other reputable entities, which share our interests.
- Membership Information: Certain “Member-Only” sections of the site contain significant information and services exclusive to active and retired UFT members. In order to verify your membership status, We must compare the data that you provide against UFT and NY State Department of Education records. In addition to creating a web site profile, a member wishing to access these areas must fill out the required fields on the member-validation page. The information gathered on this page is used only to verify your membership, and ensures that your web account grants you access to member-only features. The UFT will not share the personal information gathered on this page with any affiliates or third-party organizations.
- Online Purchases: In order to process and fulfill any purchase orders for Teacher Center courses, events or UFT products, you must provide your credit card number, expiration date, security code and billing information; this is standard information required by all credit card processing vendors. For your protection, UFT uses state-of-the-art security protocols to protect sensitive data, such as personal information and credit card numbers. The privacy of this data is ensured with a keyed symmetric encryption algorithm. While this data is being transferred, it is protected by the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) using a 128-bit signed certificate. Encryption keys are secured by Verisign. For more information on SSL and web security, see http://www.verisign.com. Additionally, the UFT does not store your credit card information once the transaction has been accepted.
- Third Party Websites: UFT.org may link to third-party web sites in order to provide you with additional news and services (e.g., Labor Links). This Privacy Statement applies only to UFT.org website(s) and does cover sites We may link to. These linked-sites will have their own policies and practices that may be different from ours. We therefore encourage you to familiarize yourself with the policies and practices of the linked-sites, especially if you provide personal information to them. UFT is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of those other sites.
- E-mail Lists: If you choose to sign-up for one of our e-mail newsletter lists, We ask for your e-mail address, zip code and interest-preferences. We use this information to administer the e-mail lists and provide relevant content for your interests and geographic area. We may share our e-mail lists with our affiliates and certain other reputable entities that share our interests.
If you wish to revoke your subscription to any e-mail list, please:
- Follow the instructions provided at the bottom of all e-mailings; OR
- Login to the web site and edit your subscription profile or
- If you have any problems revoking your subscription, contact Member Service at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- “Email this Article”: UFT.org makes it easy for you to spread the word about UFT news and events. When you use this feature, available from any web page, We do not store email addresses or any other information about the people you contact.
- Feedback and Other Contact Forms: From time to time, UFT may invite you to participate in surveys, polls, petitions, contests or other action-oriented type programs. Your opinion matters to UFT and We want your input. If you choose to participate in these activities, We may need to acquire additional personal information. Generally, UFT will only use aggregate statistics to produce survey or poll results. However, while We do not ordinarily share personal information that you provide to us on feedback and other contact forms with third parties, depending on the nature of these activities or reason(s) for your contact, it may be necessary to share personal information with third parties to comply with your request.
For example, when you sign one of our petitions: We treat your name, city, state, and any comments as public information. We may, for example, provide compilations of petitions, with your comments, to NY government or educational leaders, without disclosing email addresses. We may also make comments along with your city and state available to the press and public online.
- Legal Enforcement: UFT fully cooperates with law enforcement agencies in identifying those who use our services for illegal activities. We reserve the rights to release information about individuals who We believe are in violation of our content guidelines, and to report to law enforcement agencies any activities that We reasonably believe to be unlawful.
Special Notice For Parents
We are committed to protecting the privacy of children. You should be aware that this site is not intended or designed to attract children under the age of 13. Consistent with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998, We will never knowingly request personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 13 without prior verifiable parental consent.
Security: Online and Offline
This site has security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. We use Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption to protect the transmission of information you submit to us when you use our secure online forms. You are on a secure page when the lock icon on the bottom of Web browsers such as Netscape Navigator and Microsoft Internet Explorer become locked, as opposed to unlocked, or open, when you are just “surfing.” All the information you provide us through these forms is stored securely off-line, as defined by our Data Collection methods.
While We use SSL encryption to protect sensitive information online, We also protect user information off-line. All user information is restricted in our offices. Only employees who need information to perform a specific job (e.g., Accounting or Member Services) are granted access to personally identifiable information. All employees are kept up-to-date on our security and privacy practices. Finally, the servers that store sensitive information are kept in a secure environment.
If you send us e-mail, you should know that e-mail is not necessarily secure against interception. So, if your communication regards sensitive information (e.g., your account numbers, charge card, private Welfare Fund information or social security numbers), and you prefer not to use one of our secure online complaint forms, please contact us by mail or by telephone rather than by e-mail.
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions about this Privacy Statement, the information We have collected from you online, the practices of this site or your interaction with the web site, please send an e-mail to email@example.com.
If you experience technical problems with the operation of this web site, contact us by e-mailing: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact information for various UFT departments is available.
If your personal information changes, such as your name or mailing address, download our Personal Information Form, make changes and return by mail to UFT Membership Department, 52 Broadway, New York, NY 10004.
Amendments and Consent to This Privacy Statement
As our web site evolves, our Privacy Statement will also undergo changes. We reserve the right, at our discretion, to make changes to this statement at any time. We encourage you to check our Privacy Statement periodically or when you notice new features on the web site. All amended terms are effective immediately upon posting. By using this site, you signify your agreement to this Privacy Statement and consent to the collection and use of your information by UFT as described herein.
Additional Steps you can take to protect your privacy and security
UFT.org makes every effort to protect your privacy and the security of any information that you provide to us. But We urge you to remember that privacy and security begin with you. You can help avoid cyber crime and identity theft, by being vigilant in maintaining the secrecy of any passwords, always use caution when disclosing information online, and make sure you log out of the site before closing you web browser.
This site is created and controlled by UFT in the State of New York. As such, the laws of the State of New York will govern this Privacy Statement, without giving effect to any principles of conflicts of laws. You hereby irrevocably and unconditionally consent and agree that the Federal and State Courts located in New York County in the State of New York shall have exclusive jurisdiction over all actions and disputes in connection with this Privacy Statement or arising out of or relating to the use of this site.