Frequently Asked Questions

Posted Sep 27, 2013 | Category: Tenure | Rating:

Under New York State law, appointed teachers achieve tenure after completing a probationary period (usually four years) and fulfilling all the requirements for the professional certificate. In New York City, tenure is granted in your license appointment area. Having tenure means you may not be disciplined or terminated without due process. As a tenured teacher, you have the right to a hearing before an independent arbitrator regarding any charges brought against you. This due process right...

Read More >
Posted Sep 26, 2013 | Category: Tenure | Rating:

The process for determining whether or not you will get tenure is rigorous, and tenure is not automatic at the end of the probationary period. You must: 1) complete all your state certification and city licensing requirements, file an application and receive professional certification; 2) have a record of acceptable service during your probationary period; and 3) be recommended for tenure by your principal.

Posted Sep 25, 2013 | Category: Tenure | Rating:

The teacher evaluation system evaluates teachers as: Highly Effective, Effective, Developing, or Ineffective. A probationary teacher who receives two “Ineffective” ratings in a row will be presumed to be incompetent.

Posted Aug 6, 2011 | Category: Tenure | Rating:

This is within the principal’s right, and it will give you another year to prove yourself. Your principal probably gave you an agreement to sign authorizing the extension of probation. To protect yourself, however, you should definitely speak to your chapter leader or call your UFT borough office, and they will have a NYSUT attorney review the form before you sign it.

Posted Aug 5, 2011 | Category: Tenure | Rating:

You must work one day past your probation completion date. If you finish your fourth year at the end of June, you must return for at least part of the following year to receive tenure. Your probation is not complete until the first day of school the following year.

Posted Aug 5, 2010 | Category: Tenure | Rating:

Non-supervisory pedagogic appointees who were tenured in another school district located within New York State may apply to have their probationary period reduced by one year. Use this form to apply for traveling tenure.

Posted Aug 5, 2010 | Category: Tenure | Rating:

You may receive credit to reduce your probationary time if you worked as a regular substitute in the same license area and same division (i.e., elementary, junior high, high school) in which you are subsequently approved. You can receive up to two years of Jarema Credit. Per diem days do not count toward Jarema Credit. See the application on...

Read More >
User login
Enter the email address you used to sign up at
If you don't have a profile, please sign up.
Forgot your password?