- Who We Are
- Where We Stand
- Our Rights
- Our Benefits
- Our Chapters
- ADAPT Community Network
- Administrative Education Officers and Analysts
- Adult Education
- Block Institute
- Education Officers & Education Analysts
- Family Child Care Providers
- Federation of Nurses
- Hearing Education Services
- Hearing Officers (per Session)
- Occupational / Physical Therapists
- Retired Teachers
- School Counselors
- School Nurses
- School Secretaries
- Social Workers & Psychologists
- Speech Improvement
- Supervisors of Nurses & Therapists
- Teachers Assigned
- Charter School Chapters
- Other DOE Chapters
- Other Non-DOE Chapters
- Get Involved
- Career Timeline
- CTLE / LearnUFT
- Classroom Resources
- Courses / Workshops
- English Language Learners
- Job Opportunities
- Positive Learning Collaborative
- Professional Development Resources
- Students with Disabilities
- Teacher Center
- Teacher Leadership
- Teacher's Choice
- Team High School
UFT.org Home > New Teachers
The first three or four years of teaching are likely to be the most challenging of your career. The UFT is a family of educators, and we welcome you into it with the resources you need to be the kind of teacher that a student will always remember.
Check out the UFT's New Member Handbook »
Have a question about mentoring? Contact email@example.com.
Have a question about certification and licensing? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 212-420-1830, Monday-Thursday, 4-6 p.m.
Need to reach someone at the UFT? Contact your borough office.
Check out our Newcomer Checklist, a list of “To Do” items that will help you prioritize and stay on track.
- August 28, 2018 Get Ready to Launch: Open House for New Hires (District 75 and Functional Chapters)
- August 29, 2018 Get Ready to Launch: Open House for New Hires (Bronx)
- August 30, 2018 Get Ready to Launch: Open House for New Hires (Manhattan)
- August 30, 2018 Get Ready to Launch: Open House for New Hires (Brooklyn)
- August 30, 2018 Get Ready to Launch: Open House for New Hires (Staten Island)
Summer First Book event for new teachers 2018
Teachers starting their careers this fall took home as many free books as they could carry on Aug. 11 at the UFT’s special book giveaway, held in partnership with First Book at the union’s Bronx headquarters. New teachers were able to select up to 50 brand-new books to start a classroom library and enjoyed a DJ, refreshments and raffles.More photos
New Teacher Profile
Tara Jarvis traverses New York City wearing a huge grin. “People smile back at me and that’s when I realize I’m smiling,” says Jarvis, a first-year art teacher of students with special needs at District 75’s Brooklyn Transition Center. After a challenging childhood and a heart-wrenching 2017, Jarvis is living her dreams.
New Teacher Diary
When we first met in September, BiBi was an entry-level English language learner and I was a new English as a New Language teacher. BiBi, a 5th-grader, was reluctant to learn, to speak a word of English or even to go over the English alphabet. She wanted to hold on to her home language. I totally understand this. Why should a child be stripped of her identity just because she is in another country?