- Who We Are
- Where We Stand
- Our Rights
- Our Benefits
- Our Chapters
- Education Officers & Education Analysts
- Guidance Counselors
- Hearing Education Services
- Lab Specialists
- Occupational / Physical Therapists
- Retired Teachers
- School Nurses
- School Secretaries
- Social Workers & Psychologists
- Speech Improvement
- Supervisors of Nurses & Therapists
- Teachers Assigned
- Vision Education Services
- Other DOE Chapters
- Charter School Chapters
- Non-DOE Education Chapters
- UFT Providers
- Federation of Nurses
- United Cerebral Palsy
- Get Involved
Association of Teachers of Social Studies/UFT
Message from the President
Welcome to our webpage, and to the many activities we sponsor across the school year. We urge you to check our schedule of Executive Board meetings, workshops and conferences. Please check back often for previews of upcoming attractions.
Best wishes for a challenging and stimulating school year.
Ollie Fields Thacker
President / Chairperson, ATSS / UFT
The mission of the Association of Teachers of Social Studies/UFT is to provide a network through which Social Studies educators and other related professionals can advocate for Social Studies education and share scholarship, information, strategies and practices related to those issues that are both important and relevant to Social Studies instruction.
In support of our ongoing mission, we envision the ATSS/UFT as a valuable resource for teachers
- providing workshops, publications and conferences aimed at communicating information and strategies about those vital issues related to a clearer understanding of our city, state, nation and world;
- maintaining a Web site organized by both topic and strategy, containing useful links to current resources and relevant cultural institutions;
- using emerging technologies to maintain effective lines of communication among Social Studies educators and other related professionals;
- enhancing the ability of Social Studies educators and other related professionals to provide learned instruction that addresses New York City, New York State and national standards;
- at all times, supporting the rights of individuals to learn and grow as knowledgeable and effective members of our global community;
- ensure that as a professional committee of the UFT, we serve the interests of members and other related Social Studies professionals as an effective vanguard organization that reflects the local concerns of New York City educators while maintaining our long standing affiliations with both the National Council of Social Studies (NCSS) and the New York State Council for the Social Studies (NYSCSS).
In the News
Mar 5, 2015More than 200 educators gathered for the 55th annual Greater Metropolitan New York Social Studies Conference sponsored by the Association of Teachers...
Mar 6, 2014Folksinger Peter Yarrow of Peter, Paul and Mary fame was awarded the Hubert H. Humphrey Humanitarian Award during the 54th annual Greater...
Jun 13, 2013Many younger union members don’t know the history of their unions, but the Association of Teachers of Social Studies/UFT is out to change that.
Membership enrollment form
All UFT members are eligible to join. Non-UFT personnel, including university employees and union members affiliated with the New York City Central Labor Council, AFL-CIO, NYSUT, or AFT, may serve as associate members.
Jun 13, 2015Join the committee for their annual Cultural Tour, “Historic + Modern – the Summer Hudson Valley College Art Scene.” Featuring: Vassar College where...
“On the Wings of Workers: A Celebration of the Global History of Labor” was the theme of the Greater Metropolitan New York Social Studies Conference, which took place on Feb. 1 at UFT headquarters. The event, now in its 54th year, offered workshops on labor history and featured special guest Peter Yarrow, from Peter, Paul and Mary.