- Who We Are
- Where We Stand
- Our Rights
- Our Benefits
- Our Chapters
- ADAPT Community Network
- Administrative Education Officers and Analysts
- Adult Education
- Block Institute
- Education Officers & Education Analysts
- Family Child Care Providers
- Federation of Nurses
- Hearing Education Services
- Hearing Officers (per Session)
- Occupational / Physical Therapists
- Retired Teachers
- School Counselors
- School Nurses
- School Secretaries
- Social Workers & Psychologists
- Speech Improvement
- Supervisors of Nurses & Therapists
- Teachers Assigned
- Charter School Chapters
- Other DOE Chapters
- Other Non-DOE Chapters
- Get Involved
- Career Timeline
- CTLE / LearnUFT
- Classroom Resources
- Courses / Workshops
- English Language Learners
- Job Opportunities
- Positive Learning Collaborative
- Professional Development Resources
- Students with Disabilities
- Teacher Center
- Teacher Leadership
- Teacher's Choice
- Team High School
Message from the President
The mission of the Association of Teachers of Social Studies/United Federation of Teachers is to provide a network wherein social studies educators and related professionals may advocate for social studies education and share scholarship, information, strategies and practices related to the issues important to social studies instruction. We must provide more outreach to service our in-service teachers. ATSS/UFT is an organization of support. Considering our mission, I will make it my mission to work together through the UFT, Department of Education (DOE), New York City Social Studies Supervisors Association (NYC-SSSA), New York State Council for the Social Studies (NYSCSS), NCSS and other groups as well as direct school contact, to improve our visibility in the community of our in-service teachers.
Our cordial relationship with the new DOE can also help us to reach new teachers. We must re-establish ourselves as the go-to organization of support for NYC classroom teachers and this will be my mission as ATSS/UFT President/Chairperson.
President / Chairperson, ATSS / UFT
The mission of the Association of Teachers of Social Studies/UFT is to provide a network through which Social Studies educators and other related professionals can advocate for Social Studies education and share scholarship, information, strategies and practices related to those issues that are both important and relevant to Social Studies instruction.
In support of our ongoing mission, we envision the ATSS/UFT as a valuable resource for teachers
- providing workshops, publications and conferences aimed at communicating information and strategies about those vital issues related to a clearer understanding of our city, state, nation and world;
- maintaining a Web site organized by both topic and strategy, containing useful links to current resources and relevant cultural institutions;
- using emerging technologies to maintain effective lines of communication among Social Studies educators and other related professionals;
- enhancing the ability of Social Studies educators and other related professionals to provide learned instruction that addresses New York City, New York State and national standards;
- at all times, supporting the rights of individuals to learn and grow as knowledgeable and effective members of our global community;
- ensure that as a professional committee of the UFT, we serve the interests of members and other related Social Studies professionals as an effective vanguard organization that reflects the local concerns of New York City educators while maintaining our long standing affiliations with both the National Council of Social Studies (NCSS) and the New York State Council for the Social Studies (NYSCSS).
In the News
Sep 6, 2018Students from Manhattan's Maxine Greene HS for Imagination and Inquiry brought history to life through the words of minorities, the working poor,...
Sep 6, 2018When locating materials to use in the classroom, high-quality resources are a must. Many well-known and respected organizations have fully digitized...
Jun 7, 2018“Teachers teaching teachers”—that’s how Mike Schirtzer, a social studies teacher at Leon M. Goldstein HS for the Sciences in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn...
Membership enrollment form
All UFT members are eligible to join. Non-UFT personnel, including university employees and union members affiliated with the New York City Central Labor Council, AFL-CIO, NYSUT, or AFT, may serve as associate members.
Greater Metropolitan New York Social Studies Conference 2017
The 57th annual Greater Metropolitan New York Social Studies Conference, sponsored by the Association of Teachers of Social Studies, attracted 250 participants to a day of speakers, workshops and exhibits on Feb. 11 at UFT headquarters, Manhattan.More photos