- Who We Are
- Where We Stand
- Our Rights
- Our Benefits
- Our Chapters
- Guidance Counselors
- Hearing Education Services
- Lab Specialists
- Occupational / Physical Therapists
- Retired Teachers
- School Nurses
- School Secretaries
- Social Workers & Psychologists
- Speech Improvement
- Supervisors of Nurses & Therapists
- Teachers Assigned
- Other DOE Chapters
- Charter School Chapters
- Non-DOE Education Chapters
- UFT Providers
- Federation of Nurses
- United Cerebral Palsy
- Get Involved
Association of Teachers of Social Studies/UFT
Message from the President
Welcome to our webpage, and to the many activities we sponsor across the school year. We urge you to check our schedule of Executive Board meetings, workshops and the Greater Metropolitan New York Social Studies Conference, "GMNY 2012: Resurgence of Social Studies: Revisit, Restructure, Rebirth." Please check back often for previews of upcoming attractions.
Best wishes for a challenging and stimulating school year.
Ollie Fields Thacker
President / Chairperson, ATSS / UFT
The mission of the Association of Teachers of Social Studies/UFT is to provide a network through which Social Studies educators and other related professionals can advocate for Social Studies education and share scholarship, information, strategies and practices related to those issues that are both important and relevant to Social Studies instruction.
In support of our ongoing mission, we envision the ATSS/UFT as a valuable resource for teachers
- providing workshops, publications and conferences aimed at communicating information and strategies about those vital issues related to a clearer understanding of our city, state, nation and world;
- maintaining a Web site organized by both topic and strategy, containing useful links to current resources and relevant cultural institutions;
- using emerging technologies to maintain effective lines of communication among Social Studies educators and other related professionals;
- enhancing the ability of Social Studies educators and other related professionals to provide learned instruction that addresses New York City, New York State and national standards;
- at all times, supporting the rights of individuals to learn and grow as knowledgeable and effective members of our global community;
- ensure that as a professional committee of the UFT, we serve the interests of members and other related Social Studies professionals as an effective vanguard organization that reflects the local concerns of New York City educators while maintaining our long standing affiliations with both the National Council of Social Studies (NCSS) and the New York State Council for the Social Studies (NYSCSS).
In the News
Jun 13, 2013Many younger union members don’t know the history of their unions, but the Association of Teachers of Social Studies/UFT is out to change that.
Feb 28, 2013The 53rd annual Greater Metropolitan New York Social Studies Conference was built around the theme Social Studies: A Mosaic of Historic Global...
Feb 23, 2012The message from the keynote speaker at the Association of Teachers of Social Studies/UFT annual educational conference on Feb. 4 struck a chord with...
Membership enrollment form
All UFT members are eligible to join. Non-UFT personnel, including university employees and union members affiliated with the New York City Central Labor Council, AFL-CIO, NYSUT, or AFT, may serve as associate members.
Many younger union members don’t know the history of their unions, but the Association of Teachers of Social Studies/UFT is out to change that. The group held a day of professional development workshops, Labor Studies in the Classroom, at the UFT’s lower Manhattan headquarters on May 18, with around 75 labor educators and K-12 teachers in attendance.