Know your benefits

Eyeglasses and contact lenses

Eyeglasses and contact lenses

As a member of the UFT Welfare Fund, you, and your eligible dependents, can obtain optical services once every two years. These benefits start with an optical certificate, so the first step is to request one from the UFT Welfare Fund.

First, you need to check your eligibility to see if you have used the benefit within the last two years. The quickest way to check is to visit the Welfare Fund website and use the online form to request an optical certificate. (You’ll need to log in to access the form.)

You will be informed if you are eligible; if you are ineligible, you will receive a letter telling you when you will again be eligible. You’ll need an optical certificate for each family member who needs services.

You may also call the 24-hour forms hotline at 1-212-539-0539 or, if you prefer to speak to a representative, you may contact the Welfare Fund at 1-212-539-0500.

Once you’ve made a request, the Welfare Fund will mail an optical certificate to your home, along with a booklet of participating providers. This certificate is valid for 90 days.

To save money, take your optical certificate to one of more than 1,500 providers that participate in the UFT optical program. Each member and dependent is entitled to a free pair of eyeglasses, including bifocals and trifocals, as long as you choose a basic frame that retails for $125 or less. A basic exam is also covered with the optical certificate. There will be an additional charge if dilation is necessary.

You will also incur extra charges if you choose more expensive frames and special features including progressive lenses. If you buy designer frames, you will receive an additional $100 credit (for a total of $225) plus 10 percent off the retail price.

Participating providers also can charge you the following fixed surcharges for special features: $15 for tinting, $15 for UV block, $20 for scratch-resistant coating, $30 for glare-free coating, $35 for polycarbonate and $50 for photochromic (transitions). You must present the certificate before ordering.

You also can use the optical certificate to buy contact lenses or prescription sunglasses. (Contact lens exams and nonprescription sunglasses are not covered.)

If you decide to obtain services at a nonparticipating provider, fill out and submit your optical certificate to the Welfare Fund with an original paid, itemized receipt and a copy of your prescription. The Welfare Fund will reimburse you up to $125. Mail it to: UFT Welfare Fund, 52 Broadway, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10004.

Whether you visit a participating or nonparticipating provider, you may not “split” the optical service to cover an exam at one place and the glasses or contacts at another. Thus it’s best not to use your certificate for the exam only, but instead, save it for the glasses, which are generally more expensive.

If a UFT Welfare Fund member has a spouse/domestic partner who is also a Fund member, all eligible family members are entitled to use two certificates, one under each member’s name.

User login
Enter the email address you used to sign up at
If you don't have a profile, please sign up.
Forgot your password?