- Who We Are
- Where We Stand
- Our Rights
- Our Benefits
- Our Chapters
- Guidance Counselors
- Hearing Education Services
- Lab Specialists
- Occupational / Physical Therapists
- Retired Teachers
- School Nurses
- School Secretaries
- Social Workers & Psychologists
- Speech Improvement
- Supervisors of Nurses & Therapists
- Teachers Assigned
- Other DOE Chapters
- Charter School Chapters
- Non-DOE Education Chapters
- UFT Providers
- Federation of Nurses
- United Cerebral Palsy
- Get Involved
A new evaluation and development system for K-12 classroom teachers has taken effect for the 2013-2014 school year.
The plan is the result of a binding arbitration process led by Commissioner King that followed the failure of the New York City Department of Education to negotiate an evaluation agreement with the UFT. Teacher evaluation systems across the state have been under revision since 2010, when the state legislature adopted a new law concerning teacher evaluation in order to qualify for Race to the Top funding.
The UFT has many resources available to help members get off to a good start with the new system. Borough meetings will be held on the new evaluation system in October. The New York Teacher will run regular features explaining the new system. And, this section of the website on evaluation will be continually updated. Keep checking back!
- Who is Covered?
- Getting started: The first 90 days
- Classroom observation options
- For your professional records
- The Danielson Framework for Teaching
- Commonly used terms
- Your evaluation and development timeline
The guide includes lists of which job titles are covered by the new system, steps you can take during the first 90 days of school on the new evaluation system and records you may want to start keeping; charts on the scoring components and the observation options in the new system; and a timeline for the school year.
Have an evaluation issue you need help resolving?
The UFT has created a new online Annual Professional Performance Review (APPR) complaint form for teachers to ask their principals for assistance in resolving an evaluation issue. You must file this form within five school days of knowledge of the act or occurrence that led to this request.
You must be logged in to the UFT website to access this form.
After submitting this form, a copy will be emailed to you. Print two copies of the email. Give one to your principal and one to your chapter leader on the filing date indicated below. A copy of this form will automatically be emailed to your district representative. Please contact your district representative if you have any questions.
Chapter Leader Inquiry Form (For Chapter Leaders Only)
The inquiry form is for questions only. Chapter leaders should use this form only if they have already discussed the issue with their district representative. A copy of this form will automatically be submitted to the chapter leader’s district representative.
The ABCs of the plan
- New evaluation complaint form available
- Learning conditions checklist
- When to do evaluation work
- Teacher artifacts
- Scheduling initial planning conferences
- Complex new system unveiled
- Observations, with feedback, at heart of new plan
- Multiple layers of protection in new system
- Assessing student progress
Evaluation Plan Documents
Evaluation Plan Details
- School District Information
- State Growth or Comparable Measures - Teachers
- Locally Selected Measures - Teachers
- Other Measures of Effectiveness - Teachers
- Composite Scoring - Teachers
- Additional Requirements - Teachers
- State Growth or Comparable Measures - Principals
- Locally Selected Measures - Principals
- Other Measures of Effectiveness - Principals
- Composite Scoring - Principals
- Additional Requirements - Principals
- Joint Certification of APPR Plan
- Attached Documents to NYCDOE APPR Plan Review Room Submission (Teachers and Principals)