Be the first to find out about
important news, upcoming
events and training opportunities.
Final child care contract
ratification meeting Dec. 17.
Come out and vote!
Join The UFT Now
We need your support to win the
struggles ahead. Will you stand with
us to fight for better wages and
the respect you deserve? Sign up today!
Urgent: Nominations for provider chapter elections due May 29
Nomination forms for the upcoming UFT Child Care Provider Chapter elections have been mailed. If you would like to make a nomination, please return the nomination form in the postage-paid envelope you received no later than May 29. All dues-paying members of the chapter are eligible to vote. If you believe you are eligible but did not receive a nomination form in the mail, you may also make your nominations by calling the UFT Membership Department at 212-598-6855 or emailing the department at email@example.com with the subject line “Provider Nominations.”
Why join the UFT?
- “I love the union and am very pleased we have it. We needed a union desperately to fight for us. We could not have won the 2007 market rate without a union backing us…and God knows we need any extra money to buy supplies and everything that we need for our children.” ~ Maria Varona
- “I joined the union to have a voice and get people to recognize that we are not babysitters. We are professionals and we love and enjoy what we are doing and demand respect.” ~ Jacqueline Brooks
- “As parents and child care providers we need a union. We need someone to stand with us and to fight for us. The union can’t pay bills for us, but they can stand with us and show that we are one. That’s what the union is for me.” ~ Rinelle Knight
- “You get empowerment from being in the union because you’re not alone. For a long time, providers were alone in our fight and did not know where to turn for help. Having a union behind us has given us power and it has given us respect.” ~ Linette Ebanks
- “Before we joined the union, we were mistreated and misled. We did not know where to turn. We wouldn’t have a voice and we wouldn’t have trainings provided by the union. The UFT is really needed for people like us.” ~ Miriam Campbell
- “We need a union. We couldn’t do it by ourselves so we need other people to help us to get stronger, build our business and fight for us.” ~ Kim Geddess
Mouse over the images above to see why so many of your colleagues are joining the UFT.
Click here if you agree with them and you can join the union, too!
More photos >>
Thirteen providers and Anne Goldman, the union’s vice president for non-DOE members, were honored at the UFT Family Child Care Providers Chapter’s second annual Provider Appreciation Awards Ceremony on May 9. Almost 250 providers, their family and friends came out for the celebratory event, which fell the day after New York State’s Provider Appreciation Day.
I want to thank those of you who voted in our recent chapter elections. I am extremely proud that you have re-elected me as chair of our chapter, and I thank you on behalf of myself and my colleagues on the newly elected chapter executive board. We have many challenges ahead, but with your support we will meet them all head on.
Use our online help form to contact the union. Click here >>
Need child care for your child?
Read about the advantages of home-based day care and find links to other helpful information for parents >>
Whether you are renewing a license, submitting proof of training to DOH, or applying for the new market rate, you can find the form you'll need here >>