Article 6 says:
Counselors work hours are six hours and 30 minutes exclusive of lunch every day.
If the school’s lunch period is:
- 30 minutes, the counselor works 6 1/2 hours plus the 30 minutes — a total of 7 hours, five days a week.
- 40 minutes, the counselor works 6 1/2 hours plus the 40 minutes — a total of 7 hours and 10 minutes, five days a week.
- 45 minutes, the counselor works 6 1/2 hours plus the 45 minutes — a total of 7 hours and 15 minutes, five days a week.
- 50 minutes, the counselor works 6 1/2 hours plus the 50 minutes — a total of 7 hours and 20 minutes, five days a week.
Counselors are still governed by Article 7B. They do not cover classes, do lunch duty, dismissal duty, etc. They are not involved in Circular 6 issues. Counselors do not do small group tutoring in extended time.
Extended time as per the 2014 UFT contract
- The repurposing of time for professional development, parent engagement and Other Professional Work does not apply to guidance counselors.
- Teachers are working longer on Mondays and Tuesdays. But our workday on Monday and Tuesday ends at the usual time for us.
- When the teachers’ day is shorter, we do not leave early. We work our contractual time and leave at the end of our work day.
- Guidance counselors in single-session schools where everyone reports at the same time no longer have to attend faculty conference and departmental meetings. In lieu of them, there are two additional parent-teacher conferences that we are required to attend. This applies only to single-session schools. Guidance counselors in multi-session schools and Districts 79 and 75 are not affected by this change, unless the school has adopted a school-based option to reconfigure its time.