Planning to retire? Here's the information you need.
Congratulations on your planned retirement! Everyone here at the UFT thanks you for the years of service you have give to the children of New York City. We also thank you for your role in creating and supporting a strong union to fight for its members, for students and for public education.
The UFT fought hard for the pension and benefits package you will now enjoy. We hope it provides peace of mind and dignity in your retirement.
This online "toolkit" contains valuable information and the forms you need to prepare for your retirement.
The Teachers’ Retirement System (TRS) and Board of Education Retirement System (BERS) provide information and regular updates on their operations, including how to submit documentation for retirement, loans and more. Please visit TRS online or the BERS website for the most up-to-date information.
Filing for retirement
- Procedures for filing for retirement online
- Checklist for filing for Medicare
- How to prepare for your final pension consultation
Teachers Retirement System (TRS) Retirement Forms and Applications
- Tier 1 Application
- Tier 2 Application
- Tier 4 Application
- Tier 4 Ordinary Disability Retirement Application
- Tier 4 Accident Disability Retirement Application
- Tier 6 Application
- Tier 6 Ordinary Disability Retirement Application
- Tier 6 Accident Disability Retirement Application
- EFT Authorization
- TDA Deferral Status Election Form
- OP-40: Application for Retirement Leave of Absence (Terminal Leave)
- OP-44: Application for Termination Pay
- Instructions for adding electronic signature to OP-44
- Final entitlement — paraprofessionals
- Understanding your retiree health benefits
- Health benefits program application
- Drug coverage information
- Health plan rates
- Applying for Medicare when you turn 65
- Medicare Part B reimbursement program application
- IRMAA Medicare Part B reimbursement application (for 2021, 2020 and 2019)
Supplemental Health Insurance Program (SHIP)
- Supplemental Health Insurance Program (SHIP) benefit letter
- SHIP coverage information
- SHIP booklet
- SHIP enrollment card
- 15 reasons to join the Retired Teachers Chapter
- Retiree membership application
- COPE introductory letter
- COPE enrollment card
- Enroll in COPE (online)