UFT COPE: Fighting For You
You can now enroll in UFT COPE online! Simply click the link, log into your UFT account and fill out the online form.
(Note: You must be logged into the UFT website to access this section.)
Alternatively, you can still contact your chapter leader or reach out to our UFT COPE Coordinator Melody Rondinelli by emailing her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is UFT COPE?
The Committee on Political Education (COPE) is the UFT’s political action arm. It covers the expenses related to:
- Educating our legislators, and helps elect officeholders who respect our members, support public education and work for union goals.
- Advancing legislation and policies that strengthen our membership, protect public education and safeguard our rights; we back candidates who back us; and we support public officials who get things done for our members, parents and students.
What has UFT COPE achieved?
Politics is union business and with our collective political action we push legislators to advance legislation and policies that strengthen our membership and support our public-school system.
Examples of our recent legislative victories include:
- Secured landmark state legislation that will lower class sizes in New York City by a third over the next six years
- Reformed Tier 6 to enable UFT members to vest in the pension system after five years on the job, down from 10
- Secured $7 billion in federal education funds directly for NYC schools to address the challenges posed by the pandemic
- Pushed Albany to meet the promise of the Campaign for Fiscal Equity and fully fund Foundation Aid for NYC schools
- Secured death benefits for families who lost someone in the line of duty from COVID-19
- Ensured automatic enrollment of UFT-represented paraprofessionals in the Teachers' Retirement System
- Voted NO on the constitutional convention to protect our pensions and healthcare benefits
- Secure funding from the New York City Council each year for key union initiatives including Teacher’s Choice, United Community Schools, Positive Learning Collaborative, Teacher Center, Dial-A-Teacher and BRAVE
Why does UFT COPE need you?
COPE is entirely funded by voluntary contributions. We do not use any union dues money for political action. Your contribution enables us to continue to fight for funding for public education while we push back on proposals that seek to make cuts to school budgets and programs that provide direct services to students. Thanks to COPE, we are able to make sure that our voice is heard loud and clear. We need your support to continue this vital advocacy and political work to get the results we want.