Your benefits as new members
As a UFT member, you have one of the best health-benefits packages anywhere. At a time when many workers have no health benefits and higher costs are leading many employers to reduce existing benefits, the union has maintained the quality of benefits and even made improvements.
- As a full-time member, you are entitled to a health plan that city unions jointly negotiate for their members.
- Your city health plan provides hospitalization and medical coverage for you, your spouse or domestic partner and your dependent children up to age 26. Adult dependent children from ages 26 to 29 may be eligible to purchase coverage under New York State legislation. Learn more about city health care plans.
- Supplemental benefits such as dental, optical, hearing and prescription drug coverage is provided by the union through the UFT Welfare Fund. You must enroll in the Welfare Fund separately from enrolling in a city health plan. There are no waiting periods for benefits once you enroll as an eligible member. The fastest and easiest way to enroll is online.
- Sick days are earned, one per month, after the 15th of each month. Together, these benefits represent savings to you worth thousands of dollars a year.
- The UFT Welfare Fund has partnered with Memorial Sloan Kettering to provide cancer-related services to members.
Note: The Federation of Nurses/UFT have their own separate health benefits administered through their own health and welfare fund. Members in the Federation of Nurses UFT can get information by calling their fund administrator 1-212-982-5547.