Skip to main content
Full Menu Close Menu

Tax Credit Help For Providers

All child care providers should be aware of important federal and state tax credits, worth up to thousands of dollars, for which you could be eligible.

Families filing their tax returns may be eligible for:

  • Federal Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit;
  • an amount per child from the federal Child Tax Credit;
  • the federal Earned Income Tax Credit; and
  • the Making Work Pay Credit (if you have not already received it in your take-home pay).

The city and state of New York offer additional tax credits. As a resident of New York City, you may also be eligible for:

  • the New York State Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit and the New York City Child Care Tax Credit;
  • the New York Earned Income Tax Credit; and
  • an amount per child from the Empire State Child Tax Credit.

You may be eligible for these city, state, and federal tax credits even if you do not owe income tax. But, in order to collect credits for which you are eligible, you must file a tax return.

Find out where you can get free help with your taxes by calling the IRS toll-free at 800-TAX-1040 or 800-829-1040. Or go to

You can also contact the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance toll-free at 800-225-5829. To find out where to get free income tax preparation assistance, call AARP Tax-Aide toll-free at 888-AARP-NOW or 888-227-7669. New York City residents may also call 311.