Skip to main content
Full Menu Close Menu

Pension for paraprofessionals

All UFT-represented full-time paraprofessionals — both on the job today and in the future — will automatically become members of the Teachers’ Retirement System (TRS). All UFT-represented paraprofessionals, like teachers, can now look forward after retirement to a monthly pension check for the rest of their lives. A defined-benefit pension is a cornerstone of retirement security for UFT members. Full-time paraprofessionals who do not already belong to the pension system will be automatically enrolled in TRS as Tier 6 members, as will all paras hired after Oct. 28, 2021. Eligible paraprofessionals do not need to take any action. 

Q. What will I receive once I am enrolled in TRS?

Before you retire you get:

  • The right to borrow from your TRS account.
  • The right to participate in the TRS tax-deferred annuity program.
  • Benefits for your family if you die after one year of service.

After you retire you get:

  • A pension check every month.
  • Medical, dental and optical benefits to protect your family, for most retirees.
  • If you choose, optional benefits to protect your family after your death.
  • If you have at least 10 years of credited service and disability forces you to retire early, you may be eligible for disability retirement income. 
  • The ability to join SHIP, the UFT's supplemental health insurance program. 

And from the Social Security system — to which you belong automatically — you get:

  • Social Security payments monthly.
  • Social Security payments to eligible dependents after you die.
  • Social Security payments to eligible dependents should you become disabled.

Q. How much will I get?

It depends on how much you earned and how long you’ve worked when you retire. A UFT pension consultant can help you estimate your benefits. And remember, there’s no limit on the total amount you collect. Once you retire, those monthly pension checks will keep coming for the rest of your life.

Q. Can I collect Social Security and a pension?

Absolutely. You can collect both Social Security and TRS Retirement System benefits when you retire.

Q. How much will it cost?

Your contribution rate is determined by your date of membership in TRS. See a UFT pension consultant for details.

Q. How can I get more information?

You may call your borough office with any pension question. And as a para you have the same right as all other UFT members to a confidential pension consultation as you near retirement. To find out more about your individual situation, make an appointment to talk with an expert.

Here are the phone numbers: