Member Assistance Program
The UFT's Member Assistance Program (MAP) has trained professional counselors who can guide you through the problems that can affect your mental health and potentially put your job in jeopardy. Our services are free, confidential and professional.
As a UFT member, you may receive short-term counseling with a trained licensed mental health professional through MAP. Additionally, we have an on-staff psychiatrist who assesses and provides support to our members.
If you would like to set up an appointment with a counselor, receive a referral for outside mental health resources or learn how MAP can support you, please contact us at 212-701-9620 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org
In collaboration with the New Member Department, MAP offers various programs to support our new members in their first years.
MAP offers various support groups in which all members can come together to share their experiences, stories, tips, and find comfort with each other.
MAP is a NYSED accredited provider of CEUs for social workers (LMSW/LCSW). Throughout the school year, we offer several CEU workshops on relevant and interesting topics.
Q&A on the Member Assistance Program
What kinds of issues can MAP help me address?
- Find mental health services to fit your needs
- Assess for and refer to appropriate substance abuse programs
- Help with marital or family relationship problems
- Arrange assistance for victims of domestic violence
- Offer referrals to legal or credit counseling services
- Provide trauma and bereavement support
- Suggest treatment referrals for eating disorders
- Provide support during times of crisis
What services can I receive?
- Short-term individual counseling provided by professionally trained and licensed counselors in our offices for a variety of concerns members may have, from marital or family problems to stress or workplace issues or alcohol and drug addiction
- Short-term support groups
- Assistance with referrals to outside services
What happens in a counseling session?
A counseling session is a confidential meeting between you and a MAP mental health professional to discuss your concern and figure out how best to resolve it.
Will there be any costs?
The Member Assistance Program is available free of charge to all UFT members. Your insurance plan may cover services for additional resources or referrals. For more information on mental health care benefits covered through your insurance, please call the UFT Welfare Fund at 212-539-0660.
How do I contact the Member Assistance Program?
Please call our office at 212-701-9620. Your call will be returned within one to two business days.
When and where are services provided?
MAP counselors are available for appointments Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Please note we cannot accommodate “walk-in” members without a scheduled appointment.
Please note: If you are experiencing an emergency, please call 911 or 1-800-LIFENET (a 24-hour confidential and free mental health crisis hotline).
Our offices are at 50 Broadway, suite 904, a separate location next to the UFT headquarters.