|2019||Diversified Equity||Balanced Fund||International Equity||Inflation Protection||Socially Responsive Equity|
The UFT offers many pension services to members. If you need more information about your pension plan or do not understand any correspondence or materials from the TRS or BERS, the UFT has a myriad of services to help you. They include:
General pension questions and borough office consultations for in-service members
If you have several questions or are planning a career change, resignation or retirement, you should make an appointment for a PRELIMINARY CONSULTATION at one of the borough offices. At this private consultation, you will receive an estimate of your retirement allowance and answers to your questions about retirement benefits. We advise everyone to have a minimum of one preliminary consultation before your final consultation. You may have more than one preliminary consultation during your career.
To schedule a consultation at your borough office, call 212-331-6311.
- A regular column in the New York Teacher – "Secure Your Future"
Workshops and pension clinics
Workshops and pension clinics are generally held at UFT offices. See the current schedule »
- Timely borough-wide meetings on pension and retirement developments. Check exact times and locations in the New York Teacher.
- BERS pension meetings
- Tier IV and VI pension clinics
- Paraprofessional pension meetings
- Ready-Or-Not pre-retirement planning program helps to prepare you for the many aspects of retirement. Registration information can be found in the New York Teacher.
- Speakers for chapter meetings or faculty conferences. Ask your chapter leader to call your UFT borough office to arrange for a speaker.
You are entitled to only one final consultation during your career. To make an appointment, call 212-331-6311 between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. Monday through Friday. Meetings are scheduled in the borough office most convenient to you. It is advisable that if you are married, your spouse accompany you. A single person may be accompanied by a trusted confidant.
- Estimate your retirement allowance;
- Discuss using the Teachers' Retirement System or the Board of Education Retirement System as a means for protecting heirs and beneficiaries;
- Discuss removing contributions, where permissible, from the system at retirement;
- Aid you in completing the retirement application;
- Learn about health and welfare fund benefits;
- Answer all of your other retirement questions.
Your questions can be answered by calling our Retiree Pension Department at 212-331-6314 between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. daily. Consultants are there to answer your post-retirement questions about your pension including your deferred TDA accumulations.
Have a pension question? Check our comprehensive FAQs »
The information in the pension FAQs on UFT.org is based on currently available information, which may be subject to change and, as such, should not be solely relied upon. We suggest that you consult with an attorney and/or a tax advisor should you have any specific legal or tax questions concerning this information. In all cases, the provisions of the governing laws, rules and regulations will prevail.