All eligible in-service UFT members and their dependents have prescription drug coverage through the UFT Welfare Fund. There are no waiting periods for this coverage.
In fact, after enrolling in the Welfare Fund, newly enrolled members who are awaiting their Welfare Fund Express-Scripts (ESI) Prescription ID drug cards can purchase the prescription drugs they need and, once their cards arrive, submit the original receipts to the Fund for reimbursement.
There are two types of drugs: acute illness drugs and maintenance drugs. Acute illness drugs are those that you need immediately, such as an antibiotic. Your local pharmacy dispenses this type of drug to you.
Maintenance drugs are those that are taken over extended periods of time, such as antihistamines for allergies or drugs for high blood pressure. Typically, you will use the ESI Home Delivery service because you will save money and convenient delivery is made to your home. However, there are certain maintenance drugs, such as narcotics or controlled medications, that can only be dispensed in a 30-day supply at the local pharmacy.
- Obtain drugs at any participating pharmacy
- 30-day supply
- Tier I (Generic) $5.00
- Tier II (Preferred Brand) $15.00
- Tier III (Non-Preferred Brand) $35.00
After the original prescription and two (2) refills, members must use ESI Home Delivery Service for a 90-day supply.
ESI Home Delivery Service
- Obtain maintenance drugs by mail
- 90-day supply, in three (3) pre-packaged items of maintenance drugs
- Copayments: Tier I (Generic) $10.00
- Tier II (Preferred Brand) $30.00
- Tier III (Non-Preferred Brand) $70.00
Cost Care Program
- For members who exceed $1,200.00 per year in prescription costs, this program allows members and their dependents to obtain medication in a cost-effective manner.
NYC PICA Drug Program
- Injectible and Chemotherapy drugs with a $100 annual deductible. For Information, call 800-467-2006.
For prescription drug emergencies during hours when the Welfare Fund is closed, members should call Express Scripts (ESI) at: 1-800-723-9182.
The UFT Welfare Fund Prescription Drug Plan is administered by:
Express Scripts Inc.
One Express Way
St. Louis, Missouri 63121
For more information on the prescription drug plan, please select one of the following: