Skip to main content
Full Menu Close Menu

What to Do If You Are Hurt on the Job

  1. Obtain first aid and necessary medical treatment
    Tell the doctor who treats you that your injury or illness is work-related.
  2. Tell your employer
    Report an injury or illness to your employer in writing within 30 days. If you suffer an occupational disease, report it when you know you’re ill.
  3. Continue receiving treatment
    See a health care provider who accepts Workers’ Compensation reimbursement. You don’t have to pay for care if your claim is accepted. For help finding a provider, call 1-800-877-1373.
  4. File a claim with the Workers’ Compensation Board
    You should file a claim as soon as possible. In the case of occupational disease, you must file within two years of becoming disabled. Keep records of medical treatment, expenses, and time you missed work.

A worker’s responsibilities

  • Try to return to work as soon as you’re physically capable. 
  • Respond to all inquiries and documents from the Workers’ Compensation Board and the insurer in a timely manner.
  • Advise the board and other parties of any address change.
  • Attend all hearings and appointments. Arrive on time.
  • Answer questions thoroughly and honestly.
  • Participate actively in your case. Don’t let events happen around you.
  • Understand any agreements you make.
  • Ask questions of your representative and the board.